Menu

Fresh figs

Onceuponatime

What is your favorite way to use fresh figs besides just eating them plain? We have a bumper crop this year.

Do you mind stating your zone? We are in zone 6b/7a, and we planted a hardy fig this spring in a somewhat protected area. We are hoping to get a crop next year if we wrap our plant this winter. I'd love to hear any tips you have for successfully growing figs. Thanks!

Do you mind stating your zone? We are in zone 6b/7a, and we planted a hardy fig this spring in a somewhat protected area. We are hoping to get a crop next year if we wrap our plant this winter. I'd love to hear any tips you have for successfully growing figs. Thanks!

We are on the border of zones 7a/7b. We don't usually do anything to the plant over winter. Most people here don't wrap their figs, but I might do it this year, we have had ice damage in the past. All I do is put some manure down around the plant in the spring and rake it lightly into the soil. Even if a fig dies back in the winter, it will usually grow back from the roots.

• Like 1

*Heavy sigh*

I wish I could use the info in this thread. Our fig trees just don't produce anymore. Same thing happened to a friend who lives around the corner. He finally chopped them down. Ours get tall and have lots of leaves and we even see green fruit, but it never ripens. I miss those figs. They were so good!

What is your secret to keeping an annual crop?