Menu

My latest obsession--homemade frozen chocolate custard

Jann in TX

Last summer's obsession was homemade frozen 'roasted strawberry' custard.  I made that one again a few weeks ago-- heaven!

Next dd wanted a simple vanilla--with egg-less cookie dough topping for dd, shaved chocolate for DH and praline almonds for me-- again super yummy!

Finally DH suggested that I make a chocolate one --so I did and  Haagen-Dazs doesn't even stand a chance!

I played around with a few recipes and came up with a keeper:

Frozen Chocolate Custard

8 egg yolks

1.5 cups sugar

.5 cups good quality cocoa powder

4 oz shaved chocolate (I used 60%)

2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream

2 cups half and half

1 tsp vanilla

If possible, run sugar through a processor (or buy castor sugar)-- I used my Ninja.

In bowl whisk egg yolks and 1/2 of the sugar together until light and foamy.  Set aside.

In heavy pan bring cream and half and half up to at least 140F )-- stir continuously and add in cocoa powder and shaved chocolate.  Keep stirring until chocolate is incorporated and temp is around 180F (not quite boiling).

Temper egg yolks with chocolate mixture and put them together in heavy pan- bringing the temp back up to close to 170-180 F.

Pour into bowl (I use glass) and set that into an ice bath to cool and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight). 

Place mixture in ice cream freezer (I use a Kitchen Aide attachment) add 2 additional ounces of shaved chocolate (optional).  Once it is soft-serve consistency place back in bowl and freeze for at least 6 hours...

We serve in small dishes or sugar cones.  This is extremely rich-- so we are satisfied with a much smaller serving.

I prefer ice creams/custards that are not icy-- I LOVE smooth and velvety.

DD loves coconut macaroons and meringues so the extra egg whites are easily used up (we will do some egg-white omelets on occasion too).

-

Any ideas of a flavor we can try next?

• Like 2