Menu

Calculator for Calculus

Should I get the Nspire https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NBZAYS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or the T1-84 for my dd for her AP Calculus class this year?

I am under the impression that the Nspire is easier to use.  Is that correct?

If I teacher says the student should have a T1-84, then do you think there would be any objection to them using the Nspire?  My dd is supposed to have a T1-84 for her physics class.

TIA!

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 2

I think the NSpire models are on the approved AP Calc list.

If the teacher wants the TI calculator, I'd probably get that one. I know some people have said that the CAS model of the NSpire isn't allowed in some college classes (on tests?). I didn't own a graphing calculator at all (except for the model I rented that was required for Pre-Calc in high school), so I am out of my league on this topic.  :leaving:

• Like 1

I think the NSpire models are on the approved AP Calc list.

If the teacher wants the TI calculator, I'd probably get that one. I know some people have said that the CAS model of the NSpire isn't allowed in some college classes (on tests?). I didn't own a graphing calculator at all (except for the model I rented that was required for Pre-Calc in high school), so I am out of my league on this topic.  :leaving:

We haven't really used the calculator much either, but if she wants to take the AP exam I believe there is a section that she will need it for.  Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd bother.  Though, I guess her physics teacher wants the calculator too.

As an engineer, I cannot stand the TI calculators.  Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) is WAY more efficient than the standard approach.  I don't know what your daughter's long-term plans are, but the HP calculators are much better suited for engineering tasks.  Plus the HP calculators have amazing capabilities to handle units, etc.

Unfortunately, the entire educational world seems to be enamored with the TI calculators, so using something like the HP Prime will require significant self-study to learn how to do advanced tasks.

But all our kids learned on TI-84 calculators because that's what Chalk Dust teaches.

• Like 4

I have an HP and a TI.  Hands down the HP is much much nicer (and less expensive).  However, if the teacher plans to show everyone how to use various functions on the calculator you might go with whatever he/she suggests. 

(TI is an overpriced monopoly crap product...but that's another discussion..LOL)

• Like 2

The TI-84 series seems to "own" the high school educational market for Graphing Calculators.   DD has a TI-84 Plus CE.  If your DD needs a TI-84 Plus  for the Physics course, it will be less expensive for her to use that in the AP Calc course too.  The Instructors will be aiming their comments at students with a TI-84 Plus family calculator and people with other calculators will need to learn how to use their calculators without Support from the Instructor.  Doable but a little harder.

ETA: When I bought the TI-84 Plus CE calculator for DD, 2 years ago, I also bought the "Dummies" book for her.  She told me  at least once that the "Dummies" book was helpful to her.   :hurray:

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 3