Menu

spin off - alcohol question

Twolittleboys

Volume makes a difference though, to how they are imbibed.

With lower alcohol beers, like American beers, for many people they really can't get drunk.  There is just too much water proportionally, so their body can metabolize it as fast as most people can take it in.  

I don't know, I've seen plenty of people get plenty drunk on cheap low-alcohol beers. 

• Like 1

It all depends on how liver metabolizes and that little enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase.

Those who have a higher tolerance, meaning they can drink much more without feeling ill effects, unfortunately, often show a propensity to drinking more and eventually developing a use disorder or SUD. Sounds like your body is telling you when it's time to quit and this seems a good thing.

I can hardly digest 1/4 glass of red or white wine. As long as I am sitting everything is fine, once I get up everything spins. I consider this funny but fortunate because I will never be tempted to get drunk.

For those who want to be a little bit less inhibited, but don't want to drink, take an aspirin.  For some reason, it lightens things up a little bit.  Maybe like half a drink's worth.  

Thanks for all the input. I think I understand it a little bit better now and it does sound like there are several of you here who have somewhat the same reaction as me.

Also, I do feel that I have to say that I am glad this keeps me from drinking too much and I really have no desire to be really drunk - it sounds decidedly unpleasant. I would have liked to find a way to get a bit more "relaxed" though given how uptight I am to start with it would have to be quite a big change. Seems like I am just out of luck that way.

I don't know, I've seen plenty of people get plenty drunk on cheap low-alcohol beers. 

They may have been lightweights, or really chugged it back - if you are using funnels and such, you can take in enough.

But they also might have been acting drunk more than really impaired.

They may have been lightweights, or really chugged it back - if you are using funnels and such, you can take in enough.

But they also might have been acting drunk more than really impaired.

Or on an empty stomach. I can get fairly tipsy quickly on beer IF I haven't eaten. Like, 1 beer will do it if I'm hungry. If I've eaten I can have several with very little effect. 

• Like 1

Just a few sips of wine or champagne gives me immediate acne, migraine, diarrhea and sleepiness.  I have never had a positive feeling from alcohol, though I never drank a large quantity because of these bad effects.  I even get bad effects from food cooked in wine.  It's not just wine, so I don't think it's just a sulphite intolerance but wine is the worst.  I have not had a sip since years before my children were born.

I feel like my children's special needs and health problems are somehow related to this.  My children act drunk often, seemingly from water or air.  It could have something to do with acetyldehyde.  How can this be fixed?

First, please preface everything I say in regard to drinking with, "When I'm not pregnant..." because obviously none of this applies at the moment. ;)

I find that drinking a couple beers helps me get over my social anxiety, which is nice. It doesn't make me ridiculously uninhibited, but it does relax me enough to help me stop second-guessing everything I say or do when I'm with a group of people. I like wine too, but as I get older it gives me a massive headache, so at this point in my life I stick to beer or the occasional mixed drink.

I don't think I've ever gotten drunk from drinking beer, though. I get too full before I can get drunk, especially if there's food.

• Like 1

I have always heard that alcohol slows down your higher level thinking brain and leaves you relying more on your primitive lizard brain. So if your social anxiety is about overthinking everything, it would help that. If your anxiety is at a deeper level, more of a fight or flight reaction, I'd think it wouldn't help and might make that worse.

For me, it helps. Actually, at the big Harlequin party I was at last week I used it that way. I was a bit anxious over being with so many new people in a new situation, where many of them  (ok, most of them) were significantly more successful and they knew each other better. I was also fighting the guilt of leaving the baby with my husband. A glass of wine had me not feeling those things so much, and just enjoying the present moment. I didn't get drunk, but did get tipsy for a bit here and there, and it was a good thing as it kept me, for perhaps the first time, able to have fun without worrying about leaving the baby behind. I was in a safe place (hundreds of women, maybe 4 men not including bartenders and DJs) and wasn't driving, and espresso martinis taste good :)