Menu

Ok, WTM Travel Detectives--Need to get from Dover DE to Northern VA area cheapest way

Chris in VA

Trying to get a house guest from Dover DE (the Air Force base) to Lorton VA area (so Springfield, Woodbridge, Alexandria would be close enough). It's about 2.5 hours by car. Trying to get here a little quicker than the bus would be,  for cheap. Thought I saw a bus from an "alternative" bus company that only charged $20 but can't find it. This is for December 27 or 28. 

Because our guest is military, is there a ride board of sorts where he might find a ride to, say, another base--Ft Belvoir is down the street from us--? He could pay gas. 

Trying not to take the Amtrak as there is no direct service--or Greyhound, as it's 6 hours.

Any out of the box ideas? I don't think he wants to advertise on craigslist, but...anything else I'm not finding? 

Thanks!

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1

Does it need to be direct?   I wonder if he can get to Philly or Newark DE and take Amtrak that way?  There may be bus service to either of those areas.  My dd in PA takes the bus from Lancaster to Philly to catch Amtrak down to BWI.   My other daughter went to UDel and took the train from Newark to BWI.   I wonder how far it goes down 95? 

My other suggestion would be zoobie suggested about share-riding.  Colleges have those, I would think that military bases may too.  Maybe he can piece-meal something together.

• Like 3

It would be best if direct. It is only 2.5 hours by car, but so long other ways, he is trying to save $ AND time, which is not usually how things work, lol! By the time he got anywhere closer, he might as well be driven all the way here, really. Wilmington to Alexandria on Amtrak is probably what he'll do, but that involves an hour ride just to get to Wilmington, and he is trying not to ask his parents bc they don't really want to help. 

Yes, I am hoping there is someone coming this way that could offer a ride. 

• Like 2

Will your guest be flying into Dover AFB?  It is very possible there will be scheduled bus service (Greyhound, etc.) from the Airport Terminal building, especially if they have a lot of passenger flights going in and out of there. Whether or not it goes to your part of VA is another question.  I remember taking Greyhound buses to/from the airport terminal building at Travis AFB in CA and going into San Francisco from there (Travis AFB is in Fairfield CA, East of the Bay area).

That it is during the Xmas-New Years holidays complicates this. You might place a phone call to the airport terminal at Dover AFB and ask. Before doing that, look on their web site.  

If he is stationed at Dover, then, yes, he could try to find someone who is driving down to your area and arrange to  pay them for taking him as a passenger. Paying the gas and or toll roads, etc. They probably have a FB page or some other thing on the base for people to arrange things like that. Classified Ad in the online base newspaper.  This is pretty early. I would think around October would be better as people are firming up their plans.  

Thank him for his service!

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1