Menu

Another Montana question - should we stop in Billings, Bozeman, or Butte?

StaceyinLA

We will probably stop in one of these towns on our way from Casper to Missoula. Which would be a fun, quick stop for food, walking dogs and maybe a little sightseeing. It'll be short (1-2 hours), but I'd still like to see something worth seeing if possible.

We are trying to get into Missoula early that afternoon which is why we will want to keep whichever stop we make relatively short.

Any suggestions? I know I'm bombarding the board today with all these travel questions.

I would probably plan to stop for meals in each of those cities.  That's a lot of driving.  A few random thoughts:

West of Billings, there's a lovely hike to Woodbine Falls, trailhead near Nye.  But driving there from the highway takes a while, around an hour from Columbus off 90, probably too far for your needs.

In Bozeman, there's a quick walk/hike up the mountain with the M on it (M trail).

The computer history museum in Bozeman would also make a quick, interesting stop.  http://www.compustory.com  (It's tiny but neat)

Edited by wapiti

are you driving through Yellowstone?  When we drove across the country we went through Yellowstone that day and spent the night in Butte.  We entered on the east side, saw the lake, old faithful, and then headed out to the west entrance and north up to Butte.  It was such a pretty drive...and the road was empty almost the entire way.  Since we had driving Yellowstone that day with a few stops we didn't sightsee in Butte.  We did have a wonderful dinner there at a fancy pizza place in town.  

So, I'd tell you to skip the main highway, go into Yellowstone and see some sights as you continue driving.  It was one of our favorite road trip days.  

We have talked about Yellowstone, but we can't do anything with the dogs there; they aren't allowed anywhere but the parking lot. Is it worth it just to drive through? We talked about it, but it does add a couple hours to driving that day, and we were hoping to get into Missoula and get the dogs situated in the hotel so we could actually go do something that afternoon/evening.

I would probably plan to stop for meals in each of those cities. That's a lot of driving. A few random thoughts:

West of Billings, there's a lovely hike to Woodbine Falls, trailhead near Nye. But driving there from the highway takes a while, around an hour from Columbus off 90, probably too far for your needs.

In Bozeman, there's a quick walk/hike up the mountain with the M on it (M trail).

The computer history museum in Bozeman would also make a quick, interesting stop. http://www.compustory.com (It's tiny but neat)

There are only a couple hours between Billings and Bozeman, and only an hour and 20 minutes between Bozeman and Butte, so I doubt we'd stop to eat in each town. I am planning for us to eat in one of the three and then again that evening in Missoula. We will have breakfast food and snacks to tide us over til whichever is our first stop.

I wonder if the little hike in Bozeman would allow dogs. It'd be great if we could find places that would double as dog-walking stops.

Edited by StaceyinLA

Bozeman. I lived there for awhile. It is a cute ski town/small city with fun, little stores and restaurants on Main Street. On one end of Main is Lindley Park which would be a good spot to let the dogs run around.

My favorite place to eat is the Pickle Barrel near MSU. They sell subs and pickles. We went here all the time when I was young.

If you are going there soon, the Sweet Pea Festival should be going on.

Museum of the Rockies might be worth seeing for dinosaurs.

I'll write more in a few hours. I'm on the train.

Butte is an old mining town. My sister's ex-husband was from there.

If you have any questions about Butte or Missoula, I can ask my family members out there.

Edited by MBM
  • Like 1

Bozeman. I lived there for awhile. It is a cute ski town/small city with fun, little stores and restaurants on Main Street. On one end of Main is Lindley Park which would be a good spot to let the dogs run around.

My favorite place to eat is the Pickle Barrel near MSU. They sell subs and pickles. We went here all the time when I was young.

If you are going there soon, the Sweet Pea Festival should be going on.

Museum of the Rockies might be worth seeing for dinosaurs.

I'll write more in a few hours. I'm on the train.

Butte is an old mining town. My sister's ex-husband was from there.

If you have any questions about Butte or Missoula, I can ask my family members out there.

Sounds like fun! It's likely we will have to stop in Billings at least for gas, and maybe a bite, but maybe we will take the time in Bozeman to go to that park with the dogs.

I'd love some more suggestions for Missoula. We will be staying there overnight and are hoping to get there early enough in the afternoon to do a few things. There are definitely a couple breweries I'd like to visit, and a list of restaurants I'd like to try (though I'll have to pick just one). I'd also like to see a few things there if possible. We won't have a lot of time, but I'd like to squeeze in a few things!

Stacey, some of the drives around Yellowstone are quite beautiful. I know one route from Bozeman to Yellowstone is nice. Not sure about Casper to Billings but it might be beautiful, too.

Billings is relatively flat, more industrial/oil country, more cowboy, old Montana. Not bad but not mountainous. (I lived in Billings for a few months.)

Butte is known as an old mining town with friendly people. Many Irish.

Bozeman is near two ski areas. It has a very strong California influence. I like to think of it as crunchy meets cowboy -- liberal Californians and conservative cowboys. Many artisans sell their stuff in the stores -- not expensive and quite beautiful.

Missoula is slightly more laid back but similar. Both are nice to visit.

Dogs are very loved in Montana because they are often fiercely protective of their owners especially around bears. Most people I know love/revere them. Here is a website that lists some areas where poochies can run off leash in the area:

https://explorebozeman.com/bozeman-parks/

If you have any specific questions, let me know. My sister lives in Missoula.

Stacey, some of the drives around Yellowstone are quite beautiful. I know one route from Bozeman to Yellowstone is nice. Not sure about Casper to Billings but it might be beautiful, too.

Billings is relatively flat, more industrial/oil country, more cowboy, old Montana. Not bad but not mountainous. (I lived in Billings for a few months.)

Butte is known as an old mining town with friendly people. Many Irish.

Bozeman is near two ski areas. It has a very strong California influence. I like to think of it as crunchy meets cowboy -- liberal Californians and conservative cowboys. Many artisans sell their stuff in the stores -- not expensive and quite beautiful.

Missoula is slightly more laid back but similar. Both are nice to visit.

Dogs are very loved in Montana because they are often fiercely protective of their owners especially around bears. Most people I know love/revere them. Here is a website that lists some areas where poochies can run off leash in the area:

https://explorebozeman.com/bozeman-parks/

If you have any specific questions, let me know. My sister lives in Missoula.

Well, we are spending the evening and night in Missoula, so if your sister can recommend a few cool places we could visit/squeeze in, that would be awesome! I'm looking to go to a brewery or two, and find a yummy, fun dinner place (not anything super pricey or fancy - we are looking for casual, but really good).

If she has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

How could I forget - on the drive from Casper to Billings, stop at the Battle of Little Bighorn national monument.  It is literally right off the highway.

Thirty years later, we still talk about stopping there--my husband mentioned it just the other day. I don't know what it is about that place...It's just that you can so easily imagine the enemy (whichever one it was to you) riding up over those hills. It must be so little changed except for the monument/building there. For a place that has almost nothing, it sure was impressive.

• Like 1

We vacationed in Bozeman last summer .... wonderful place ! The hikes to the waterfalls are fantastic but I can't remember if they allow dogs. But there are nice hiking trails near downtown too and I saw dogs on those. There is a Costco. There is also a Firehouse sandwich shop, and a really good coffee place close to that. There is also a Chipotle.

Well, we are spending the evening and night in Missoula, so if your sister can recommend a few cool places we could visit/squeeze in, that would be awesome! I'm looking to go to a brewery or two, and find a yummy, fun dinner place (not anything super pricey or fancy - we are looking for casual, but really good).

If she has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Stacey, she is going to send me some brewery and food suggestions. She's in Glacier right now but will get back soon.

• Like 1

Billings is one power outage away from being a nightmare hellscape. The vibe in that place is so thoroughly horrendous.

Not. Billings.

Yeah, I agree. LOL.

Just heard from my sister. The Missoula breweries she likes in this order:

1. Kettle House

2. Highlander -- outdoor patio is next to a creek

3. Draught Works -- sometimes has music at night

4. Tamarack (ginormous nachos!)

5. Big Sky Brewery

6. Beyrens

Doc's is a great sandwich shop. Not too pricey.

Edited by MBM

Yeah, I agree. LOL.

Just heard from my sister. The Missoula breweries she likes in this order:

1. Kettle House

2. Highlander -- outdoor patio is next to a creek

3. Draught Works -- sometimes has music at night

4. Tamarack (ginormous nachos!)

5. Big Sky Brewery

6. Beyrens

Doc's is a great sandwich shop. Not too pricey.

Yay!! Two of the ones I was thinking of going to are on that list! Does she recommend the food at the breweries, or only the brew? ;-p

Ask her if she has been to any of these: Five on Black, Blue Canyon, Biga Pizza, The Shack and Notorious P.I.G. (I kinda wanna go there just because of the name - lol) Those are a few of the places I narrowed down based on menu options and price. I love sandwiches though, so I'm not opposed to a good sandwich joint! Since we will be staying the night, the dogs will be able to be in their crate in the hotel room while we just cruise around and check things out. We will likely get there late in the afternoon.

I was wondering about the St. Francis Xavier Church also - can you ask her if it's worth trying to see?

Okay, my sister says St. Francis is "A BIG MOST DEFINITELY!!! BEAUTIFUL INSIDE." They say a weekday Mass at 8 or 9 if you might be interested. Take Orange Street exit off I-90 interstat. Drive down 4 to 5 blocks and it will be on the right side.

Tamarack Brewery has ridiculously large nachos.

Restaurants are all different and any should be good. In no particular order:

1.Notorios P.I.G. Southern style BBQ. Really good but get there early...they tend to run out of selections. Reasonably priced.

2. Biga Pizza. Popular with college students. It's local and good.

3. Blue Canyon. A little pricey but the chef tries to put a Montana flair on food. For example, he makes bison burgers, elk steak, trout but also local beef steak and chicken. It's all good.

4. The Shack has a nice menu and good prices. It's downtown.

5. Five on Black is new. Brazilian food... lots of people like it.

She says all of these are really good choices. Also, Missoula restaurants try to use local and organic food, even places that aren't pricey.

She is going to write directions for the secret off leash area in case the poochies need to run. It's 25 acres and was right behind her old house. I'll send that along tomorrow morning just so you have it.

Also, there are some forest fires making the skies hazy but don't worry because they're way up in the mountains for now. If you have any concerns about forest fires while traveling, just ask and she can find out about safety. Should be fine, though.

Edited by MBM
  • Like 1

Thank you! I'm planning to see the church for sure. I think we'll be able to do that. I'm really excited about the restaurants I picked too - looks like we're gonna have a tough time making up our minds. I'm inclined to try the Brazilian place because I love different stuff, but this particular daughter isn't as adventurous, so we'll see!

Her boyfriend looked up the distance from our hotel to the various places we are interested in seeing, and we are within about 5 miles from just about everything we want to do.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

Here are the two places dogs can go off leash in Missoula in case yours need to run a little.

Jacobs Island Bark Park near U of Montana. -- 6 acres. Off leash.

South Van Buren St. and South 5th St. East

https://www.bringfido.com/attraction/2726

Montana Conservation Seedling Nursery -- 25 acres of state lands where a lot of people walk their dogs off leash.

Department of Natural Resources, Forestry Division

2705 Spurgin Rd

Go just past the parking lot and you can park off to the side. You'll see pine trees in little rows and a well worn path. This is a great place for dogs to run around.