Menu

9th grade science?

My son will be starting 9th grade, and while we are outsourcing most of his classes, he was not able to get into the science class.

He is not a real sciencie kid, so I would be ok with pushing biology until next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 9th grade science that would not be too difficult to do at home? Thanks

• Like 1

DD14 (rising 9th grader) will be doing WTMA's Biology this year, which is year ahead of our local district.  So, yes, you are fine holding off, depending upon his future goals in science.

If dd weren't doing biology, I would likely have signed her up for Derek Owen's physical science.

• Like 1

my son did Environmental science for 9th.  Used Holt's Environmental science book from Rainbow Resource.  Gets you a 1 year access to the teacher materials and extra student items online.  We opted not to do a lot of the labs(very classroom based), but it was a good science he could do independently.  He learned a ton and I hear all about it randomly here and there in conversation lol.  

• Like 2

my son did Environmental science for 9th.  Used Holt's Environmental science book from Rainbow Resource.  Gets you a 1 year access to the teacher materials and extra student items online.  We opted not to do a lot of the labs(very classroom based), but it was a good science he could do independently.  He learned a ton and I hear all about it randomly here and there in conversation lol.  

Oak Meadow has Environmental Science also - they use Pearson.

• Like 1

My son will be starting 9th grade, and while we are outsourcing most of his classes, he was not able to get into the science class.

He is not a real sciencie kid, so I would be ok with pushing biology until next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 9th grade science that would not be too difficult to do at home? Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean that he isn't "real sciencie."  Does that mean that he doesn't have the math foundations for physics and chemistry or something else?  

If the issue is where his math ability is right now, you could do a conceptual level physics, which would have little to no math.  Biology is frequently a good first high school science course because it uses more verbal explanations of living systems than mathematical exercises.  

We have found the Miller and Levine Biology text to be a pretty good one.  We use the course plan from Kolbe Academy.  With my current 9th grader, I'm using the optional workbook in place of the end of chapter questions, partly because there were more questions in the workbook and partly because I liked the layout of the workbook a little better.  I bought the course plan and answer key from Kolbe and purchased the textbook, workbook and workbook teacher edition used from Amazon or used bookstores.  http://www.kolbe.org/courses/homeschool/courses/high-school/science-curriculum/

With this Kolbe course plan, there is a Core schedule and an Honors schedule.  The Honors schedule is designed to be a pace and depth to prep for the Advanced Placement test.  I would stick with the Core level for a standard high school level coverage.

We are not using the online resources or virtual labs, but instead are doing labs chosen from here: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/sci_edu/waldron/  We bought a few lab kits from Home Science Tools, like the bacteria handwashing lab and some items for dissection.  We are messing around a lot in the garden and going to local fairs and expos where there are booths by experimental farms, the tropical ag department of the university, Department of Land and Natural Resources and similar biology related groups.

I think there is a discussion of conceptual physics in the stickie at the top of this board.  Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt is a title many people use for this level.  If you look for older editions of the book, you can find a lot of copies used, including teacher manuals.

• Like 2

I would also recommend Derek Owens' Physical Science, but it would only work if your son can work independently and keep up with the schedule on his own. My daughter started it in the 7th grade, liked it initially, but half way gave up because other classes and commitments took the front seat for her. And perhaps she was a bit young.

Conceptual approach to science may work too, Chemistry or Physics, but be aware that the books are very long winded. I was thinking of it as a supplement for the Chemistry last year, but quickly realized that the amount of reading is huge. Perhaps if he starts now, it may be ok.

• Like 2