Menu

What are the realitites of renting a booth at an antique mall?

GoVanGogh

I've never done this. But I've been in a number of antique malls. Here's some feed back,

1. Make your booth set up like a mini store with things displayed, not just piled in.

2. Provide enough space to walk in and maneuver.

3. I'm always drawn to shelves labeled, "This shelf only, 10 % off." Or some discount.

4. Unless an item is a highly collectible thing, but is basically kitzche junk, don't try to sell it.

5. Make it well lit.

In terms of business, what/how much do you need to sell each month to make a profit? Split 2 ways?

I've never done this. But I've been in a number of antique malls. Here's some feed back,

1. Make your booth set up like a mini store with things displayed, not just piled in.

2. Provide enough space to walk in and maneuver.

3. I'm always drawn to shelves labeled, "This shelf only, 10 % off." Or some discount.

4. Unless an item is a highly collectible thing, but is basically kitzche junk, don't try to sell it.

5. Make it well lit.

In terms of business, what/how much do you need to sell each month to make a profit? Split 2 ways?

Thank you for your feedback. I plan to spend time this week visiting some antique malls and looking at them from a seller point of view. Right now, I am looking at this as a potential fun hobby, not a big money maker.

My mother and MIL considered renting a case together. It was pretty cheap and they wouldn't have had to sell much to break even. It was a fun idea for them to consider. My mother got about 50 quality items together; my MIL got a bunch of garage-sale type items together. My mother wasn't sure how to tell her that those items wouldn't be acceptable. The business is run by a husband and wife and the wife called my mother and said her items looked great, but then the husband called the next day and said they couldn't sell any of her items. And truly - my mother had lovely, vintage items of exactly the sort they had specified! So she decided against it and my MIL decided she didn't want to do business with them, either. But it still sounds like a fun idea, so go for it if you think you can sell things!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I checked into this as I wanted to sell furniture that I have redone etc...  

Things to consider:

Monthly rental fee plus some may do a short term contract.

Pay a % of every sale to the store.

Pay taxes on every item sold.

Adding about the store: How long do they hold your money, and do they pay on time?