Menu

BBQ and family reunion

Elizabeth86

I have a family reunion coming up. I was thinking of making pork bbq sandwiches. How do you make it? Do you use bottled sauce or make your own? What type of pork do you use. Also, what else is a good thing to make for a gathering with no plans other than bring whay you want.

I have a family reunion coming up. I was thinking of making pork bbq sandwiches. How do you make it? Do you use bottled sauce or make your own? What type of pork do you use. Also, what else is a good thing to make for a gathering with no plans other than bring whay you want.

I use Sweet Baby Ray's bottled sauce.  Cook a big pork roast and shred it.

Other things that go well with BBQ are mustard potato salad, baked beans, and cole slaw.

I use a Boston Butt. I think it's really a shoulder roast. It takes a long time in the crockpot, so it might be less stressful to let it cook overnight, then shred the next day. If you do it all the same day you're always watching the clock and burning your fingers.

You can just cook it with a little liquid and just season the pork with a rub. (I use one called "Butt Rub"). Then set out an assortment of BBQ sauces and people can add what they like to their sandwich.

ETA: Do NOT get distracted and try to use a tenderloin. It won't work.

Edited again: I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub BBQ. The meat is good with just that and it's also delicious when you add a sauce when serving.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I use a Boston Butt. I think it's really a shoulder roast. It takes a long time in the crockpot, so it might be less stressful to let it cook overnight, then shred the next day. If you do it all the same day you're always watching the clock and burning your fingers.

You can just cook it with a little liquid and just season the pork with a rub. (I use one called "Butt Rub"). Then set out an assortment of BBQ sauces and people can add what they like to their sandwich.

ETA: Do NOT get distracted and try to use a tenderloin. It won't work.

Yes, I think setting out BBQ sauce instead of adding it to the meat is the way to go. If you followed the recent thread on foods people hate that others love, BBQ sauce came up several times.