Menu

Ancient History - On-level independent reading list suggestions for a 10-year-old fifth grader?

pitterpatter

I've rounded up ancient history book lists from many of the usual sources, but most suggestions are a little higher level and/or longer than what I feel comfortable assigning DD for independent reading this year. She has dyslexia and convergence excess, so books around 160 pages or less and short chapters work best. Printed books with small, cramped text I usually discard too. (Yes, she can read Kindle versions and adjust text size and spacing, but we prefer printed when possible.)

These are some of the books often suggested with their AR book levels and approximate page counts. Does anyone have good alternate suggestions that might be a better fit for independent reading? She'll still be listening to many of these as audiobooks. She's also reading some non-historical fiction for literature/reading as well, so we really just need a couple of really good suggestions for history. TIA!

Our history stops this year after the fall of Rome.

The Golden Goblet - 6.3 - 248 pages

The Bronze Bow - 5.0 - 254 pages (She'll probably read this one.)

Mara, Daughter of the Nile - 6.7 - 279 pages 

Hittite Warrior - 5.7 - 237 pages

The Eagle of the Ninth - 7.1 - 240 pages

The Silver Branch - 6.8 - 231 pages

Black Ships Before Troy - 6.8 - 128 pages

Edited by pitterpatter

What about Detectives in Togas, The Mystery of the Roman Ransom, Archimedes and the Door of Science?   The "You Wouldn't Want to be..." books are also good.   You might get some good ideas from curriculum sites like Guest Hollow, Heart of Dakota, or Tapestry of Grace.

Of the books on your list, Mara, Daughter of the Nile is frequently mentioned as being a difficult read even for students who don't have challenges reading.   The content would be fine for a 10-year-old, but if you keep the books on this list, this would need to be an audiobook for sure.

• Like 2

We have already read all of the You Wouldn't Want to Be... books.

Do you know whether Detectives in Togas and The Mystery of the Roman Ransom are horribly fluffy? I've added Archimedes... to my list for consideration.

Thanks for the suggestions...and for the tip about Mara. I appreciate it.

What about Detectives in Togas, The Mystery of the Roman Ransom, Archimedes and the Door of Science?   The "You Wouldn't Want to be..." books are also good.   You might get some good ideas from curriculum sites like Guest Hollow, Heart of Dakota, or Tapestry of Grace.

Of the books on your list, Mara, Daughter of the Nile is frequently mentioned as being a difficult read even for students who don't have challenges reading.   The content would be fine for a 10-year-old, but if you keep the books on this list, this would need to be an audiobook for sure.

The Wonders of the Ancient World series by Elizabeth Mann are picture books, but they are longer and nicely written. There are a number in the series which fit the time period nicely.

The Great Pyramid 

The Roman Colosseum

Taj Mahal

The Great Wall

Parthenon

​Maybe...

A Triumph for Flavius or Theras and His Town by Caroline Dale Snedeker

​Cleopatra by Diane Stanley

Edited by Kfamily
  • Like 2

These titles look promising but seem to be pretty obscure. Anyone know whether these are generally liked and worth tracking down? I can't even churn up a preview of anything besides the the TOCs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Wonders of the Ancient World series by Elizabeth Mann are picture books, but they are longer and nicely written. There are a number in the series which fit the time period nicely.

The Great Pyramid 

The Roman Colosseum

Taj Mahal

The Great Wall

Parthenon

​Maybe...

A Triumph for Flavius or Theras and His Town by Caroline Dale Snedeker

​Cleopatra by Diane Stanley

I really wish Amazon and Goodreads had a better way to sort books. I can drill down to ancient history books for 9-12-year-olds on Amazon, but then I can't choose fiction or historical fiction, which leaves me with thousands of books to scroll through. Goodreads is worse.

ETA: Nevermind my comment, I think I may have found a different way to search Amazon.

Edited by pitterpatter