Menu

Results are in!

Well, as predicted, Dd3.75 is gifted. Score of 142 on the DAS-II. No surprise there.

Doctor saw absolutely no sign of autism. ADOS results were all normal.

What I didn't expect was her results on the ASEBA Child Behavior Checklist, for emotional and behavioral functioning. I knew she was having behavioral issues at school that needed addressing, but the questions on the checklist didn't seem to capture her issues. Turns out we (the parents) answered all the questions in the normal range, but both of the teachers answered in the clinical range. Guess they have experience with a larger group of kids! So now we have a diagnosis of "Unspecified Disruptive, Impulse-Control and Conduct Disorder."

The doctor recommended a program called "The Incredible Years." It's a structured play group that works on emotional regulation and social skills.

I'm pleased with this outcome. There is something going on, and there is something we can do. This is a diagnosis she can likely outgrow with intervention and support. Works for me.

• Like 5

Is she is a private preschool or public? I've forgotten, sorry. That program looks fine. Anything for social thinking is going to be on the right track, sounds like. If your psych is suggesting it, then apparently there are people in your area trained in it. It's all about what you can make happen. 

To what do you or the psych attribute that you and the other parent both marked behaviors as non-clinical but at school they're so off the charts? In our house we had a split (on the ADI-R, for instance), because dh sees so much more than I do. It's just a fact, I miss things. But for *both* parents not to mark the behaviors as being seen to that degree, that's interesting. So do they not occur at home? That in and of itself is very telling, if they're occurring at a clinical level at school but not at home. You'd really want to know WHY. 

It's private daycare. She's there 50 hours a week, I work full time. I imagine her triggers are boredom and frustration. I'd say she exhibits some of the same behaviors at home, but she gets a lot more one on one adult time at home, which is what she really craves. This kid really needs to learn how to read, I think it would help fill her need for stimulation.

In a perfect world I'd have her in school fewer hours, but that's not going to happen. And she does generally like school... Trust me, she'd get bored at home too and she needs the peer interaction. It's just hard with a kid this darn smart.

It's private daycare. She's there 50 hours a week, I work full time. I imagine her triggers are boredom and frustration. I'd say she exhibits some of the same behaviors at home, but she gets a lot more one on one adult time at home, which is what she really craves. This kid really needs to learn how to read, I think it would help fill her need for stimulation.

In a perfect world I'd have her in school fewer hours, but that's not going to happen. And she does generally like school... Trust me, she'd get bored at home too and she needs the peer interaction. It's just hard with a kid this darn smart.

Have you tried audio books with her? Would they allow them at the daycare? My very verbally inclined son loved even long chapter book ones as a preschooler. Of course we also read lots to him, but he did much better entertaining himself with an audio book in the background. Otherwise, he much preferred an adult interacting with him. But using them gave me much needed breaks (we didn't have a TV), and I know they benefitted his language development.
  • Like 2

Yup, we use a LOT of audiobooks. The kindle fire is great, because you can turn off all the apps. But I'm guessing the daycare won't let her have it.

Do they have a preschool component to the daycare? Maybe move her over? Some preschool programs, like Montessori, blend ages and won't have a ceiling on what she can do. They would teach her to read, etc.