Menu

Will you be doing anything special on election day?

farmgirlinwv

My dd (11 yo) is very interested in elections. So we will have just election day school on Tuesday. I have a unit study that we've been working on. I would like to do something else as well. Maybe a paper of how the president is elected and something fun.

Anyone want to share ideas they have?

Thanks,

Lisa

You mean, other than voting? :)

No, probably not. My 13 yo ds and 8 yo ds and listen to the live stream of Glenn Beck on the internet while we color in our electoral college maps. That was fun during the '04 election because,

a. Glenn Beck is funny, and

b. the boys get to stay up late, and

c. we play board games and eat snacks while listening and waiting for returns.

Yay!

We had a mock election yesterday and it was a lot of fun! We made a voting booth, buttons and posters for each child's candidate (there were 4 kids). Each child chose a cartoon character they wanted to support. They wrote a short paragraph and gave an oral presentation on why you should vote for their candidate. They had a blast! We also had the 3 older ones write a paragraph on a different topic pertaining to elections. These were the topics:

How the Electorial college works

Why it's important to vote

Andrew Jackson

The only other thing I'm going to do is have my oldest fill in the Electorial college map. Depending on how the election goes (how many days it takes to count the votes), I might do a discussion on why it's a POSITIVE thing that the race is so close.

Happy Election Day!

PS We also talked about why the vote is secret and why that's a GOOD thing. We told the kids not to tell each other their votes, but they whispered it to each other as they went to play:glare::patriot:

It will be treated like a big holiday here.

Of course we will vote, and I'm planning on having my son (4) in the booth with me to "ink" the Presidential choice.

In the evening the Grandparent's will come and enjoy a festive meal, and we'll settle in to watch the returns (easier on the West Coast).

*I* may have my own electoral college map, but that might be a bit much for the young one this time.

Bill

We will do an all election and Presidents' Day. I have a board game called "Run for President" that we'll play. Also there's a fun game on PBS's website http://pbskids.org/democracy/presforaday/ that we remember playing 4 years ago during the last election. We will spend probably a few hours in the voting line, which is a great lesson as well!

I have been doing a president and elections unit study at co-op using this website: http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/PresElec.html It has tons of fun ideas if anyone's interested. We have also memorized the presidents using this website's song: http://www.donttellmyteacher.com/Presidents%20Song.htm

Edited by charlotteb
Forgot something

We will be out at the polls trying to get voters to vote yes to giving the local community college more money. My father works there and this might be the difference between him having a job next year or not. DS is VERY excited to be a part of the election. I never thought of coloring in the map but I might steel the idea. Hopeful more ideas will come in.

In the morning dd and I will be at the local campaign headquarters making phone calls to urge people to vote. That afternoon and evening we will be finishing up our election lapbook and filling in our map. We have no outside activities Wednesday morning so we will stay up late watching the returns.

Tracy

We're doing an elections lap book. On Tuesday, it'll be election day. Drop off ballots, watch some of the coverage, let them each vote in a mock election. Also, each will have a map of the US and color in the states as they are called and count the electoral votes on a white board.

We have volunteered the minivan to drive voters to the polls so the kids will get to sit in the back row seats and meet lots of people going back and forth to the polls. Other than a few hours of that, it will be treated like a big holiday. We have been following this closely since my dd7 asked what a caucus was. We will be foll lowing early returns over dinner, but it probably won't be decided before they go to bed.

We already voted, due to my busy Tuesday schedule. It was fun to take all five of the kids into the booth, and have them take turns pressing the squares next to each candidate's name. At the end, we all pressed the "Cast Vote" button together.

The older kids are really working on me to let them stay up and watch the TV coverage, but so far I'm not caving in. It will be hard to hold my ground if the race is neck and neck by the time E.D. gets here. That Glen Beck thing sounds interesting...

Like y'all, we spent some school time on discussing the electoral process, looking at online polls, etc. The older children also voted on a kids' election website. Since we're studying American history this year, we're learning the US Presidents in order by singing a song. The kids have already added the name of our candidate of choice to the end of the song.

Edited by Julie Herbster

We are working on an election lapbook from Knowledge Box. So we'll finish that up, take a trip to the polls and then maybe play some Hail to the Chief. DS already voted on Nickelodian.com's Kids Vote and was excited when his candidate won. Also, because this is such a historical election, either way, I'll probably have ds write a journal page for his lapbook, you know so when his kids ask, "What were you doing the day...?" He'll be able to remember.