Menu

Cell phone double messages

SquirrellyMama

I got a new phone last month, and am now having this issue. When I send a text message in a group chat my message shows up twice.

It isn't just a duplicate text. Everyone get a message with my name and a 2nd with my number. So, it shows up on my screen like my phone has sent me the same message.

Does that make sense?

Kelly

• Like 1

It only does this on a group text, not if I'm sending them to just one person

How do I know if it's going from my email and text.

Is imessage and iPhone thing?

Kelly

Probably iMessage/iPhone. Some phones will not accept one or the other, so it'll send as iMessage and as text message.

• Like 1

I have an LG. I'm just using the Messaging app that came with the phone. This is my 2nd LG Stylo 2. It wasn't happening with my first one.

I had my reply almost ready to submit and then I clicked wrong and I closed that Browser tab, by accident, and lost everything I had written... I will try again...

Try another Messaging App from the Google Play Store!

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=lg%20%2Bmessaging%20app&c=apps&price=1&rating=1&hl=en

Possibly try the first one, Android Messages, by Google, if the description does what you want to do. More than 50 million installations and it was updated on 20 June 2017.  Or, another one.  there are lots of Messaging Apps available free. This is not "Rocket Science" and what you use should work, properly...

Questions:

This is a replacement LG phone of the same model?

What issue did you have with the first phone that caused an exchange?

Have you tried this, using WhatsApp or another Messaging App?

Do the phones have the same version of the Android OS (6.x or 7.x? (I doubt that is involved with this)

I suspect this is a glitch in the App (I was a Software person, so I look first for a Software issue), but it could also be a Hardware issue.

I suggest that you Google for this and especially look on the LG Support Forum, to see if it is a known/common issue.

Also, I suggest that you document this, and submit what is happening, and the IMEI number of the phone, via the web form on the LG Support web site.

Also, possibly submit the information (without the IMEI number) on the LG Support Forum.

If you are lucky, it is a known/common issue and if you are lucky, there is a known work-around for it.

Suggestion and Recommendation: Stop using that Messaging App and use another free Messaging App from the Google Play Store.

In the highly unlikely event that you have the same issue, using a different Messaging App, then, you would know there is a Hardware issue and should exchange the phone, for a Samsung or Motorola or Lenovo phone.

Try another Messaging App from the Google Play Store!

Your issue may have something to do with the migration from the first LG phone to the 2nd one. The configuration of the App in the first LG may have used your phone number or email or name and in the 2nd phone it was configured differently and sees those as different contacts. Something having to do with the migration from the first LG to the 2nd LG and the configuration and setup. I have that with the Contacts List in the old Samsung. Factory reset 2 or 3 times and then in April I Flashed the Firmware and started over. My phone is Rooted. Result is many duplicate Contacts and a mess. Try another free Messaging App and hopefully the issue will go away but if not it may have to do with the way the migration and configuration and setup of the 2nd phone was done and it was done slightly differently and you may not be able to solve the issue.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Look in your Contacts and see if you have both Contacts it is sending messages to when you send a message to a chat group. If so delete one of those Contacts. Probably in the settings for the Messaging App. In this phone there are 2 Google accounts because my Wife installed a paid Music App so I can use it too. I think that is why my main Contact list is a mess because now I have all of her Contacts too. She set it up to Sync Contacts for her Google phone email address in my phone. I am afraid to undo that because I don't want to screw up her phone. Bottom Line: We use WhatsApp and I send messages to several Chat groups for our HOA. Just one message is sent and it shows that I sent it.

Worst case assuming the issue isn't Hardware related is that you do a Factory Reset and Configure the phone again. Probably you will not be able to uninstall the LG Messaging App. But you can never use that App. You can install another free Messaging App from Google Play Store and use that App for Messaging. If the issue continues after a Factory Reset with a different Messaging App then take it back for a Refund and buy a Motorola or Lenovo.

• Like 1

Worst case assuming the issue isn't Hardware related is that you do a Factory Reset and Configure the phone again. Probably you will not be able to uninstall the LG Messaging App. But you can never use that App. You can install another free Messaging App from Google Play Store and use that App for Messaging. If the issue continues after a Factory Reset with a different Messaging App then take it back for a Refund and buy a Motorola or Lenovo.

Nice suggestion. What if we disable the app. 

• Like 1

You may not be able able to disable or uninstall an App installed by the factory. This Samsung Galaxy is Rooted. I have the Titanium Backup Pro on it. Many Apps I would like to Uninstall I can't Uninstall. I have Apps that I have Frozen or something to try to reduce their footprint. Motorola phones have a reputation for having an almost Pure version of Android. We have 3 Motorola phones in the house. Stepson has a Lenovo. Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility. He says that his Lenovo is exactly like my wife's Motorola but the price of the Lenovo was lower. If this old Samsung ever dies I will replace it with a Motorola or Lenovo. Easier to use and more bang for the buck than paying the premium price for a Samsung.

Looking back at this and thinking about it more,  here's what I would do, to comply with the "KISS" (Keep it Simple, Stupid...) method.

I would install a different free Messaging App from the Google Play Store.  Here's the link:  

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=LG%2BMessaging%20apps&c=apps&hl=en

I would Install the first one in the list, Google Messages, to the LG phone.  Here's the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en

I would Configure Google Messages, carefully, and then I would send a TEST message to the Chat group(s), using Google Messages.

(If Google Messages does not work with the Chat group, I would look for another Free App that does. A Chat App)

If the problem persists (sending 2 messages each time) I would take the phone back and exchange it for a Motorola or a Lenovo or a Samsung.

We have a neighbor who is an Electronic Engineer who has worked for 20+ years, for one of the 2 major providers here in Colombia. He usually buys Motorola phones. Sometimes he buys a Samsung, but he buys more Motorolas. Earlier this year he bought a high end Motorola, that he can use in his work with the cell towers.

ETA: Usually an App that has been installed by the Factory, or by the Provider, is difficult or impossible to uninstall. The solution is usually not to use Apps that you don't like, if you cannot uninstall them.

Edited by Lanny

I googled for this issue on LG phones. Apparently it is not limited to LG phones. It may have to do with the phone, or the carrier, or the messaging app. Or, I suspect. a combination of those...

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/3hx67l/lg_g3_sending_multiple_duplicate_texts/

I'd try another Messaging App and if it continues then I would assume it is either the phone or the carrier or the combination of the 2. 

Since the first LG phone of this model the OP had did not do this, this one may have a slightly different Firmware in it.  that could also be a factor in this.

Or, the Messaging App in this one is a different version.

Many possibilities.

If the issue can't easily be eliminated, I suggest returning the LG phone for a Motorola or Lenovo.

I have the same phone. Do you use the LG messaging app or your carriers app? I found the verizon app to be glitchy so I disabled it. The LG app is bare bones but works much better.

Good point.  In post #6, she wrote that she is using the Messaging App on the phone. Until I read your post, I assumed, possibly incorrectly, the Messaging App was installed in the LG factory and that the phone left the LG factory Unlocked and Unbranded to a carrier.  We live in Colombia and all the phones we buy are Unlocked and Unbranded.

So, yes, the Messaging App she is using could have been installed by LG on an Unlocked and Unbranded phone, or it may be a phone that is Branded to a Carrier.  Branded phones are more glitchy than Unbranded phones and have more junk Apps installed on them..

OP if your phone is like this one and has a Stylus Pen, I'm guessing it would be harder to switch to a different brand, if you cannot resolve this issue, but I have never looked at a phone with a Stylus Pen, so I have no clue, as to what other brands offer.

http://www.alkosto.com/celular-lg-stylus-3-4g-ss-titanium

This one is something under USD $230 today, Unlocked and Unbranded, when it left the LG factory and with a one year LG warranty in Colombia. That includes the VAT tax.

When I googled the issue of the double messages, one (temporary) thing that seemed to have helped some people with the issue was to Restart their phones. You could try that.

I am  hoping that a different Messaging App will make this issue go away for you and that you can keep this phone.

Lanny- I do believe installing a new messaging app worked. Thank you! That was driving me nuts.

Kelly

:hurray:    You are welcome!     If a new Messaging App solved the issue, that was easy...  Enjoy your phone!

Do a number of tests to the Chat group, and if it only sends one message, you have hopefully cured the issue, permanently.