Menu

looking for a spelling program that does not require starting from scratch

I'm looking for a spelling program for my rising sixth grader. He's very intelligent and does well academically but after three years in a "good" public school that lets kids spell however they want outside of spelling tests his spelling is very poor. I feel like he needs something more than just a workbook and weekly list but everything I'm finding is a set program that requires starting at the beginning. I feel it will be difficult to motivate him to do the work if he recognizes it is well below his grade level. I'd prefer something that isn't super time consuming on the part of the parent since I don't often have blocks of time without toddlers underfoot and making noise. Maybe a computer program?

IEW's Phonetic Zoo is a phonics-based spelling program that is designed to be the last program you ever use. After they complete level C, which I find to be challenging, they shouldn't need a spelling program anymore.

If you purchase the full kit, the cost is $99ish for one level. You would have all the materials for every level minus the CDs for the level you did not purchase. You could purchase the value kit for $30ish, but it doesn't include the CDs.

The CDs make the program completely independent, although for the money, I prefer to read off the lists and hints/jingles myself.

It's not computer-based, but we use Spelling Power and, once you give him the assessments, he could start at the level he tests into without ever seeing what grade level he is at. It only requires 5 minutes of my time per day to read the words aloud.

I love and often recommend Spelling Power.  It's vintage-y and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles.  Here are the awesome advantages: 

- It recommends starting around age 8 and goes all the way up to adulthood.  It's all contained in one book.  If I wanted to fine tune my spelling skills as an adult, I could use the later sections.  

- The student's progress goes by skill, not by weekly lists to memorize.  Feedback is instantaneous.  If a student knows a word and gets it right the first time, they don't practice that word (no busy work--why practice what you already know?).  The only words practiced are the ones the student missed.  There's a very systematic way of practicing and I think the results are good for long-term retention.  This method of laser-focusing only on words that need to be learned makes it efficient and productive for the student.  

- There is an initial test that shows where the student should be placed.  So you wouldn't waste time on levels of spelling that are too easy nor too hard.  

- As the teacher,  you can use a table in the book that shows what grade level your student is working at, but your student doesn't have to know.  The book isn't formatted by grade level, but by skill level.

- Words are grouped by phonics/spelling rules vs. randomly thrown together.  

- There are points of review to make sure the student is retaining what they've learned.  

- The student progress as quickly or slowly as they need to through the levels.  

- It's fast.  I just use a tab to mark where we left off, open the book, and go.  The book recommends working for a set period of time everyday.  Sometimes we lengthen or shorten this a bit, depending.  Once the words have been given by the teacher, the student can work independently to finish practicing/writing/writing sentences with the words for the day.  

I don't really have any vested interest in other people using this program, I just love it!  It was recommended to us by a teacher who homeschooled her own kids and then went on to become a public/charter school/homeschool program coordinator for 20 years.  Again, it's a bit vintage-y, so don't expect anything flamboyant or colorful if you check it out.  I do think it's a quality curriculum that requires zero preparation time on my  part and is pretty efficient for the student.

Hope you find what works for you!

• Like 3

It's not computer-based, but we use Spelling Power and, once you give him the assessments, he could start at the level he tests into without ever seeing what grade level he is at. It only requires 5 minutes of my time per day to read the words aloud.

That's funny--we were typing this at the same time!  :)

• Like 1

When I look up spelling power I find a program with word tiles and letter cards and cd's. Is that correct program? (I'm searching for it on rainbow resource)

It's just a book and CD. https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=002784

ETA: I'm using it here. My weak speller doesn't retain well with Spelling Power. I've had to build in a lot of review, which makes it more time consuming than I'd like. He's very weak though--he did well with Apples and Pears (finished it; needed more). The good thing about it is it will place him in a level and he just keeps working. The later levels of Spelling Power are difficult words--it truly would take one to adulthood spelling I think if it works. It's pretty economical in that respect. 

Edited by sbgrace

I know our Spelling Power came with a book, a blank/lined workbook for the student, and a box of idea cards (maybe 200 cards in it with various grade range levels).  The book would be a must, the student's workbook would be helpful, but maybe not 100% required (maybe you could just use a notebook?)...

I never used the box of idea cards for practice, as is crossed over a lot into other language arts areas.  Cool ideas, but I already had enough going on for writing, reading, grammar, etc.  So, IMO, the box is definitely not needed.  We've never had or used a CD, so I don't know that that is necessary;  maybe others could advise? 

Here's a link to the curriculum's website: http://www.spellingpower.com/ (Maybe that was already posted up-thread?)

A quick search on Amazon shows the books are for sale new or used for a variety of prices (ranging from $5 to $50 to $90).  My assumption is that the prices are based on the edition; it looks like there are at least 4 editions so you might want to research that.  (Ours is an older edition and I cut out or changed just a few words that were more suited to the 1980's (can't remember what they were now.  This only occurred a few times among hundreds of words.)  The student record books are available on Amazon for about $8, new.