Menu

School me on conference shopping.

Conference List:

Wear comfy shoes

Think how you will carry everything. Consider a rolling cart. Big bags of books get HEAVY

Our doesn't allow outside food/drink, but I am usually able to bring a bottle of water

A budget! I have been known to get a little carried away😉

Pick up lots of catalogs.

I usually make a "once through" and purchase my must have items I researched beforehand. I sit down and have lunch or a snack and look though the brochures and decide which booths I want to revisit to pick up extras. I also sometimes total my spending while I am resting a few minutes and see how I am doing budget wise. Some companies have discount codes on the catalogs, or forms for a free materials drawing. I will take a catalogue or brochure from most vendors. Sometimes I am looking for a discount code. Other times it is something I am not very familiar with and take it home to research further.

Have fun! Five hours should be a good amount of time to explore and get lots of goodies☺ï¸

• Like 1

Check on rules concerning rolling carts. Some do not allow them in the vendor hall.

Look over the list of vendors and hall map, to see where the vendors you want are located. It if is crowded, it may be hard to recognize or see a vendor name. Make at least one pass though before pulling out any money.

I take a spiral notebook and cut out/copy the Rainbow Resource pages of the items I want, including the description.That way I had a list to go off of but also could make notes for when I got home and couldn't remember why I decided for/against and item.   I make notes on what questions I may have. I check out the vendor list ahead of time and check to see if there is anything specific I may want to see.  I hae never been one to go to lectures, but if you are check out the protocol for that.

Take a backpack and or/rolling cart.  I usually found games and what not, easier to have shipped (most vendors offer free shipping) so I don't have to lug them around.

I pay for everything with a CC if possible unless there is something that I am taking home with me.  That way I have proof of purchase in case and mailed item doesn't arrive and can cancel the transaction.  

I used to love RR for extra items like extra history items, office items, manipulatives, etc.  One of our most used items was these 4x1 inch strips of write on/ wipe of magnets I bought at a curriculum sale.  We used them for lots of memorization work and when the kids where little, matching word/definition etc.  DD18 is dyslexic so I was always trying to get work off of the paper and into her hands. 

There used to be a paper company that came to ours but stopped coming the last few years I went.  They sold really cheap lined paper for early elementary ages/stages.  Fun empty note books, single story journals etc.  DD was crafty so it was nice to have a quick thing to turn a paper into a project, instead of just words on paper.

I liked to go, but make sure you are not the type to give into high pressure. Some of the vendors are quite the sales people. LOL

Edited by Tap

It is fair to ask--is there any incentive for me to buy today?  (e.g. freebies or discounts)

If you are unsure about buying something, you can always ask if they might be offering free shipping later on.  For example, our convention was in May but IEW is offering free shipping this week.

Definitely bring good walking shoes and something to take notes on.

Note at ours somehow people's data on their phones does not work in the convention hall but if you go outside the convention hall, it does.  So if you need to do some Amazon price shopping, try that. 

great info! 

They do have a " stroller and book check" which I think is like a coat check to drop stuff off.  a backpack is a great idea. I doubt I will buy more than a backpack full of stuff.

I'm not a big spender. We are hammering out our household budget this week. Perfect timing. I'm afraid that I will get cold feet and walk out with nothing because I don't want to spend. With a hard budget, I don't have to stress. At least not too much. 

I am working my way through the rainbow catalog with notes, but there is no way i can finish in a week :( I'm going to have to wing it a little. 

The convention has a "buy it here" incentive drawing. eh. I'm hoping they have some fun small items that i want. The kind of things i usually don't throw in my basket because all those little things add up. 

I hadn't about asking for shipping. that's a great idea. 

The only two vendors i really want  are rainbow and usborne. I plan to hit those two first, then spend the rest of the time wandering about just looking. taking a timeout before purchasing is a good idea, but hmm. maybe not. i might just lose my nerve. but then, if i get overwhelmed, i can do that. 

they have a section for young entrepreneurs. that sounds like fun. 

I'm doing the shopping only pass. No lectures or workshops, besides the newcomers mini conference on a different day. 

I like the idea of getting a bunch of catalogs to bring home. then i can peruse at my leisure.