Menu

Remember our recent conversation about VBS?

DawnM

His last paragraph describes what I remember of VBS when I was a child 40 plus years ago. It was a week where I'm sure the ladies came up with the materials themselves because they knew us and loved us and wanted to teach us the faith our little church followed. I've thought about doing something similar in our church, although it would be Vacation Church School not Vacation Bible School. Not something splashy, or wide spread, but something for just our little parish.

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

His last paragraph describes what I remember of VBS when I was a child 40 plus years ago. It was a week where I'm sure the ladies came up with the materials themselves because they knew us and loved us and wanted to teach us the faith out little church followed. I've thought about doing something similar in our church, although it would be Vacation Church School not Vacation Bible School. Not something splashy, or wide spread, but something for just our little parish.

My former neighbor who is greek orthodox had Vacation Church School growing up.  That was the time they had many lessons on the basics of their faith.  It sounded really meaty and she remembers it fondly.  

• Like 1

I think the entire premise of the article is flawed to begin with. Young adults turning away from the church is nothing new, and certainly didn't start with the millennial generation and VBS. It's a phenomenon as old as time itself. Many who were raised in the church, however, eventually do find their way back. (Not all, I realize. But many.)

I think the entire premise of the article is flawed to begin with. Young adults turning away from the church is nothing new, and certainly didn't start with the millennial generation and VBS. It's a phenomenon as old as time itself. Many who were raised in the church, however, eventually do find their way back. (Not all, I realize. But many.)

Yeah, I don't think VBS is the only reason, but there were a few good points in there.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

That is not a very good opinion piece. I turned away from church and never went to a VBS never mind a flashy pop cultural version. They never even had things separate for kids. People might do a few VBS but I know no one who shops around for flashy churches. Doing some fun stuff to give people in the community a good perception does not mean that people actually interested in a church because they are believers will leave because it is not always fun and games. What is wrong with science anyway? The thing about choosing radical Islam is out there. What wrong with people not being a Christian anyway.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1