Menu

New social group: Crockpot-ers United

This board sees a fair amount of traffic on crock pots and recipes for crockpots. So I started this new group.

No politics. No religion. Just crockpots. And recipes.

One caveat: No cream of cr*p soup. I cannot express in words the depth of my loathing for cream of cr*p soup. If you feel even slightly the same, come join.

Crockpot-ers United

Whether we call them crockpots or slow cookers, whether we use them them for soups or desserts, we are united in our loathing of cream of cr*p soup as an ingredient.

So, post about your crockpot or slow cooker here. Post your tried and true, or tried and goo recipes. But most of all share your abilities to cook a great meal in an electric device without having to resort to cream of cr*p soup.

This board sees a fair amount of traffic on crock pots and recipes for crockpots. So I started this new group.

No politics. No religion. Just crockpots. And recipes.

One caveat: No cream of cr*p soup. I cannot express in words the depth of my loathing for cream of cr*p soup. If you feel even slightly the same, come join.

Crockpot-ers United

Whether we call them crockpots or slow cookers, whether we use them them for soups or desserts, we are united in our loathing of cream of cr*p soup as an ingredient.

So, post about your crockpot or slow cooker here. Post your tried and true, or tried and goo recipes. But most of all share your abilities to cook a great meal in an electric device without having to resort to cream of cr*p soup.

If I were joining social groups, I'd join this one just for recipes without cream of cr*p soup. :lol: I loathe the stuff and won't even buy it.

Ooo, I love to cook with my crockpot. As a newbie here, I'm not sure what groups are yet, but once I find it, I'll post some recipes. And I'm always looking for new ideas. I also promise I won't use any cream of cr*p soup. :001_smile:

Ooo, I love to cook with my crockpot. As a newbie here, I'm not sure what groups are yet, but once I find it, I'll post some recipes. And I'm always looking for new ideas. I also promise I won't use any cream of cr*p soup. :001_smile:

Just click on the link in the original post. It will take you to the group page. Click on where it says "join group."

We'd love to have you! :)

I'd like to, only one problem. I've NEVER owned or used a crockpot in my life. Should I ask for one this Christmas??

:svengo:

Never met a homeschooler who didn't own a crockpot!!

Obviously, you've missed a memo somewhere along the line. :D

Definitely ask for one for Christmas!!

I've been a little freaked out about the thread last week saying there was lead in the Rival brand crock-pots, as we have a Rival and have used it heavily for years.

I called to Rival customer service today and was assured by a rep that there was no lead in the glaze (as in zero, zip. nada). I said ARE YOU SURE? Is there NO LEAD or does it just meet FDA standards for a "safe" amount of lead?

Oh no sir, no lead what-so-ever. There has never been any lead in our glaze.

Can you send me something in writing to that effect?

So I get an email:

"We go to great lengths to ensure that our products meet or exceed all applicable laws and regulations as well as industry standards, such as the FDA regulations. JCS has not had any recalls for lead and we are being very diligent in our efforts to ensure our products are compliant with applicable regulations regarding the presence of lead.

If you would like, you could visit the EPA, FDA and CPSC websites for more information."

Well that doesn't say NO LEAD. Now I'm....(let's say unhappy :angry: )

So I called back, and they promised to have someone get back with-in the hour. It's been 3.

Also sent an e-mail asking for "clarification", no response.

:rant::rant:

I needed to vent :001_smile:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I've been a little freaked out about the thread last week saying there was lead in the Rival brand crock-pots, as we have a Rival and have used it heavily for years.

I called to Rival customer today and was assured by a rep that there was no lead in the glaze (as in zero, zip. nada). I said ARE YOU SURE? Is there NO LEAD or does it just meet FDA standards for a "safe" amount of lead?

So I get an email:

"We go to great lengths to ensure that our products meet or exceed all applicable laws and regulations as well as industry standards, such as the FDA regulations. JCS has not had any recalls for lead and we are being very diligent in our efforts to ensure our products are compliant with applicable regulations regarding the presence of lead.

If you would like, you could visit the EPA, FDA and CPSC websites for more information."

So I called back, and they promised to have someone get back with-in the hour. It's been 3.

Bill

I've been a little creeped out about that, too. We've been using the crock my husband bought in 1977 (gorgeous mustard yellow with that funky 70s lettering!).

I have a vague recollection that you can buy a kit somewhere that will allow you to test the lead content on a glaze. I'll ask my chemistry prof friend about this and get back to you.

I called to Rival customer today and was assured by a rep that there was no lead in the glaze (as in zero, zip. nada). I said ARE YOU SURE? Is there NO LEAD or does it just meet FDA standards for a "safe" amount of lead?

So I get an email:

Bill

I posted a question about this at the group, because I've been concerned and not using my crockpot for awhile. But I really wish I could because it makes the day a lot smoother for me.

Rival has lead from what I've read, I'll find some links in a sec. There was a news station that did testing and found lead in Rival crockpots. I also read a thread at mothering.com that sounded a lot like your experience, with people who received one answer from someone there, and then a different answer from someone else, and nothing concrete in writing.

Also, I've been told that the lead testing kits sold at stores aren't very reliable.

ETA:

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/topnews/story.aspx?content_id=f8eb08d7-f588-462b-a113-447426ea4816

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=789962

I have searched and searched and I can't find anything really conclusive about it, it seems that all crockpots probably have some lead due to the ceramic glaze. I would happily pay a lot for a crockpot that is definitely lead free.

Edited by Annie Laurie

I called to Rival customer service today and was assured by a rep that there was no lead in the glaze (as in zero, zip. nada). I said ARE YOU SURE? Is there NO LEAD or does it just meet FDA standards for a "safe" amount of lead?

So I get an email:

Bill

Well... I don't know anything about lead in crockpots, BUT I do know that cream of cr*p soup is 93% lead.

It's true.

It really is.

Okay, I'll join your group, BUT I must confess:

I LIKE Cream of Cr*p Soups and crockpot recipes that use them.

OH, THE HORROR! :svengo:

I will promise not to share any of the CR*P recipes, though.

Now, will you please start a Vita-Mix group while you're at it? I have one and have only used it to make shakes. DOUBLE HORROR:ohmy: