Menu

Oh NO! Sewage smell!!!

Help!!!!!! :scared:

Tonight, I went into the bedroom area of our house - and wondered who hadn't flushed, kwim?

Now, I'm downstairs (we live in a ranch with finished basement) and the dishwasher's running -

I'm smelling "IT" again! Oh NOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm tiptoeing out to the garage, hoping not to find a leaky pipe. What do I do if I find no leak???

(Dh won't be home until Friday night. . . . . )

Well, here when it smells downstairs it just means that there is root build up in our pipes going out of the house. I just call the plumber and he grinds tham out for a mear $300. But, I know what it is by looking at the hole in our floor next to the washing machine and there is water up and out where it shouldn't be.

Maybe that is all it is. Quick, go look!

Do you have a floor drain anywhere that is not used much? Sometimes the water will evaporate from the trap and the sewage smell can escape that way. We have a floor drain in our laundry/utility room, and we periodically dump about 5 gallons of water down it to keep it fresh.

All good thoughts -

Ok, no leak in the garage (where the pipes exit the house).

Toilets check out ok.

I don't "think" we have a floor drain.

I guess in the a.m. I'll check where the septic tank is buried - see if there are any leaks out there.

It's been 3 years since it was pumped. We are a family of 7. Might it be time?

Sigh. I just want this house to sell. NOW!

This happened to us years ago. We didn't have septic, so it couldn't be that. The gas man found nothing. Dh decided to replace the wax ring between the commode and floor. He was skeptical that that would fix it but after that the smell was gone.

Cinder