Menu

Nail injury help

Yesterday, Dd sliced into her fingernail with a vegetable peeler and the cut is about 2 mm into the pink part of the nail. There was no blood. But this is very uncomfortable. Plus, she is a competitive rock climber training for Nationals in 2 weeks. At practice, she said it was very painful to squeeze the smaller holds. We need to stabilize that nail so that she can grip things without pain and without worrying about it tearing further.

Any ideas? One website said to put nail polish, then cut the fabric from a tea bag and put it over the Polish and do another layer. We did something similar to that tonight, but it was the adhesive strip from a bandaid covered by bail polish. This wasn't strong enough to keep the nail immobilized.

Another suggestion was to get a gel manicure. The idea is that the acrylic layer will hold the nail together. Is there a downside. I had a gel manicure a few years ago and my nail beds took a long time to recover from inappropriate removal. I'm also concerned about infection.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Check with a dermatologist - fingernails and toenails fall under their purview. I'd be concerned about making sure she does everything she can to decrease the risk of infection. I imagine she wears gloves when she is climbing, but making sure the nail is stable and won't tear as well as preventing entry of germs is important, I think. 

• Like 1

Check with a dermatologist - fingernails and toenails fall under their purview. I'd be concerned about making sure she does everything she can to decrease the risk of infection. I imagine she wears gloves when she is climbing, but making sure the nail is stable and won't tear as well as preventing entry of germs is important, I think.

No gloves. You need to feel the holds and they can be quite small.

ETA: it's not likely that we will get into a dermatologist in a reasonable amount of time. It is not so deep that I had even thought about seeing a docor. I've had similar injuries and I just put a bandaid on it to protect it and just babies it until the nail grew in more. We are just under more time pressure due to it being a bad idea to it erupt training so close.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

I've used tea bags and super glue. It works great and I've never had an infection from it. When I need to remove it, I file it down.

Yep, file it as needed. If it's a bad tear I'd probably treat with antiseptic before (just let it dry thoroughly). It will usually deteriorate on its own. On my worse ones, I've had to reapply at times until the break is grown out.

• Like 1

I cut through my thumb nail (and most of my thumb!) with an old fashioned paper cutter years ago. I had it treated by a dermatologist. I remember getting a tetanus shot, but no antibiotic. I'd call you dr and run it by them over the phone, but the teabag and glue sounds like a good solution.

I really hope this doesn't cause your dd any significant problems with her training!

(Licensed cosmetologist who spent the majority of my salon years doing nails... not giving medical advice disclaimer :D )

First, make sure the cut is very clean

Nail polish and a tea bag is a temporary fix, but unlikely to have the strength she'll need for climbing.

Look for a fiberglass nail wrap kit, similar to this http://www.sallybeauty.com/asp-wrap-kit/SBS-156388,default,pd.html?list=Home%7cNails%7cAcrylic%20Nails#start=1. Most drugstores, target, or Walmart should have them. Nail glue is the same as superglue- cyanacrylate (sp?) and also the same glue I believe used to close skin wounds when stitches are not practical.

The fiberglass or linen wrap will hold the nail together. Fiberglass will be almost invisible, so she can see how it is healing or if any trouble is brewing. Nail glue or superglue can be soaked off with acetone nail polish remover. It might sting the cut, but won't damage the nail, or take as long as soaking off gels.

Good luck in her Competition!

ETA full instructions would be in the kit, but if you go with superglue and a tea bag, very lightly rough upmthe nail surface with the fine side of an emery board, it helps it adhere better. And make sure the nail is clean, no oils or lotiony soap residue. Also helps with adhesion of the glue.

Edited by Rebel Yell

(Licensed cosmetologist who spent the majority of my salon years doing nails... not giving medical advice disclaimer :D )

First, make sure the cut is very clean

Nail polish and a tea bag is a temporary fix, but unlikely to have the strength she'll need for climbing.

Look for a fiberglass nail wrap kit, similar to this http://www.sallybeauty.com/asp-wrap-kit/SBS-156388,default,pd.html?list=Home%7cNails%7cAcrylic%20Nails#start=1. Most drugstores, target, or Walmart should have them. Nail glue is the same as superglue- cyanacrylate (sp?) and also the same glue I believe used to close skin wounds when stitches are not practical.

The fiberglass or linen wrap will hold the nail together. Fiberglass will be almost invisible, so she can see how it is healing or if any trouble is brewing. Nail glue or superglue can be soaked off with acetone nail polish remover. It might sting the cut, but won't damage the nail, or take as long as soaking off gels.

Good luck in her Competition!

ETA full instructions would be in the kit, but if you go with superglue and a tea bag, very lightly rough upmthe nail surface with the fine side of an emery board, it helps it adhere better. And make sure the nail is clean, no oils or lotiony soap residue. Also helps with adhesion of the glue.

Thanks. I went to walgreens and they only had the Sally Hanson hard as wraps. No wrap kit. I have some time tomorrow so I'll look someplace else.for the kit you are walking about.

Btw, we did go see the doctor at dh's insistence. The PA said that she doesn't think there is a risk of infection and that our plan to put what you describe to stabilize the nail would be a good solution until it grows out enough to cut.

Now to make those nails grow. JELLO anyone?

• Like 1