Menu

Who can help me clean my stove?

If you aren't available to come to my house, I'll settle for some advice. ;) Frankly, my stove is N-A-S-T-Y. Even when it's not bad, I still have to spend about 30 minutes scrubbing to get it really clean. It's a gas stove, if that makes a difference. Are there any special supplies, products, or tools to make the job easier?

Oh, and while we are on the subject, why is it that whenever I do clean my stove I'm guaranteed to have a pot boil over the next time I cook? It's one of the many mysteries of the universe...

Gee, I'd love to but...uh...you know...

I have to wash my hair...

I mean, I have to dry it...

I mean I have to do my nails...

Dangit, I know there is SOMETHING I'm supposed to do!

:lol:

Funny, that's what I always tell my dh when he gives me the "aren't you going to do something about that stove" speech.

The only thing I've found that helps is to clean it right after I use it. Then I can just wipe up the mess instead of trying to chisel it off after it's been cooked into the stovetop for a week. I know that's probably not the advice you were looking for.....but it's the only way I know how to keep mine from becoming a disgusting mess.

Oh, I will say this though: I had a friend who would take all the pieces off her cooktop, put them in her oven, and set it to an oven clean cycle. It would literally bake all of the mess off. I haven't tried it with mine because it specifically says in the manual not to do that.

I'll be checking back to see if someone posts a miracle solution! I despise cleaning my cooktop. :tongue_smilie:

Do you have removeable inserts under the burners? if you do there is a really easy way to clean them.

Only do 2 at a time because they will sit for 24 hours.

Remove the two you would like to clean.

Get out a large (gallon or 2 gallon) ziploc bag.

get out your ammonia (no mixing with bleach because that is deadly).

Put paper towels on top of and below the inserts and put them all in the plastic bags (one each),

pour in some ammonia so that the paper towels get wet, but aren't really soggy, and they cling to the insert.

Zip up the bags and put somewhere out of reach for a day.

I put mine in the garage.

The next day, open a window (seriously).

open up the bag making sure it is away from your face.

Hopefully you have some cleaning gloves on.

Wipe down the inserts with a sponge.

all that baked on black stuff should come right off!

Reuse the plastic bags for the next two inserts.

Afterwards throw out any trash with the ammonia on it and get it outside.

This sounds more complicated than it is. just remeber to try not to breath in the ammonia..open windows etc. I do this twice a year. Hope that helps.

Jenny

ETA: I think I got this advice from a book called "haley's cleaning hints". it is a great book! Some really useful ideas, and some ideas that that thought were weird...

Edited by Jennifer in NH

I don't have inserts, but my burners are removeable. They are cast iron covered with ceramic, not stainless steel--does that make a difference?

My inserts are ceramic so as long as there are no chips revealing the cast iron it should work fine. If there are chips in the ceramic, I wouldn't use any prolonged liquid method. it would rust the cast iron.

I've never heard of Magic eraser..what is it? sorry, I have no idea how one double quotes.

I just use a damp wash cloth and liberally sprinkle (as in pour a small pile) baking soda and scrub. Baking soda will remove all greasy and burnt on stuff. It even works in the oven, I wipe the oven down with lots of Baking soda and leave some on the walls and then next time I wipe it down the dried on baking soda will help baked on stuff come off. Good luck!

Eek! Did it catch fire BECAUSE it needed cleaning? :eek:

Yes.

Well, in my defense, it was very old and the latch for the self cleaning oven was broken for a whole year. Yes, a whole year, the grunge collected. One day after a greasey sugary spill happened that *I was not aware of*....it...well...caught fire...big time, caught fire.

So, since it was old, we bought a new one. You've got some good suggestions for cleaning ideas and a whole new reason to clean it. :D

I really hated cleaning my gas stove too...I replaced it with a glass cooktop and I am thrilled. Ok, it doen'st cook as evenly, but I can deal with that. The oven works better too.

I figured out thru trial and error, that if I ran the burners thru the dishwasher, but took them out when the cycle was done and they were still warm, I could clean those little buggers up real nice.

BTW.. Magic Eraser is the Mister Clean white erasers that come 2 to a box.. Very expensive, but I have found them at the dollar store...they are fabulous around the house. Get acquainted with them!

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/products/eraser.shtml