Menu

Literary analysis writing curriculum for 8th graders?

My dd will

Have to drop Lost Tools of Writing from the homeschool academy. She absolutely hates the iew style that breaks down the writing into tiny itty bitty pieces and beats it to death. She also finds the use of the Latin words strange and unimpressive.

She's an excellent writer but just needs to take her writing to the next level. I can teach and grade writing very well but I do need a good curriculum.

What about Windows the the World.  It's published by IEW, but it's not about writing, it's more about lit analysis--no rules or little bits.  I love how they teach you to write a lit analysis paper.  I've used it with a mature 8th grader. 

• Like 3

She absolutely hates the iew style that breaks down the writing into tiny itty bitty pieces and beats it to death. 

No recommendation, but DS hated IEW for the very same reason.  He panics if I so much as bring the IEW materials out to look at!

I'm looking for a good nuts and bolts book for essay writing for a 5th grade student. Would any of these recommendations fit?

Scholastic Paragraph Writing Made Easy followed by Diana Hanbury King's Writing Skills series (start with book 1 for a 5th grader).

• Like 1