Menu

Does anyone know what they do to store purchased muffins to make them so soft?

I lean towards a ww flour diet, so naturally those store bought muffins taste all the softer!

Here's my, confession, some days I just want a super soft homemade muffin even if it is less nutritious. <blush> So, can anyone help me out? How does one get their muffins that soft w/out all those added preservatives at least. :lol:

Since I also bake ww muffins at home, I know what you mean. I find spelt flour makes really soft muffins. It is higher in protien and I consider it a whole grain. I get mine from local mill but you could find it else where. Azure standard might send it by FedEx.

I'm interesting in the responses of others, so I'll be watching.

I use my freshly milled whole wheat flour and follow the recipe on the wtm recipe site. It's a great recipe. I've also played with it a bit and sometimes, instead of pumpkin, I use bananas for a banana recipe.

These muffins always get good reviews.

For muffins in general, be careful not to over mix the ingredients otherwise you will have a tougher muffin. And don't over bake them, or they'll be drier.

In some ways I don't think it is so much the flour. If you bake a loaf of banana nut bread then when it is warm still wrap in foil and leave until the next day. Then you will have the breads you speak of. Same with muffins, wrap while still warm and let sit. Now granted they won't be warm but oh they will be moist. I have been doing this for years as we have breads and muffins a lot for breakfast. You will not believe the difference it makes if you wrap them while still warm~~not hot. And I always use fresh ground whole wheat flour.

. . . fat content and cake method of mixing.

Find a muffin recipe that starts by beating softened butter and sugar together. (No oil, no melted butter, no honey. Butter. Sugar. Crisco works, too, but that's not a reason to use it.) That will get you a softer texture, although a whole wheat version will never be as soft as a white flour one. ETA: It's easier to find quick bread recipes like this than "muffin" recipes. Those work as muffin recipes just fine.

The other tip is us a full-fat recipe. Butter, sour cream, cream cheese--those are all good ingredients in a recipe, if you're looking for tender muffins.

Edited by PariSarah

In some ways I don't think it is so much the flour. If you bake a loaf of banana nut bread then when it is warm still wrap in foil and leave until the next day. Then you will have the breads you speak of. Same with muffins, wrap while still warm and let sit. Now granted they won't be warm but oh they will be moist. I have been doing this for years as we have breads and muffins a lot for breakfast. You will not believe the difference it makes if you wrap them while still warm~~not hot. And I always use fresh ground whole wheat flour.

OHhhh, is that why the recipe i found for some cinnamon bread said to do that?

HUH.... thanks for sharing that!!

For muffins in general, be careful not to over mix the ingredients otherwise you will have a tougher muffin. And don't over bake them, or they'll be drier.

and

Also, I find that quick bread recipes (banana bread, zucchini bread, etc.) yield much tastier muffins than muffin recipes do. :)