Menu

Small towns?

ktgrok

The town we lived in before our current home was around 13,000 people and was extremely walkable. I actually went a year without even having a car. I walked or biked to the library, the grocery store, the clinic, the pharmacy, the park, the bookstore, coffee shops, thrift stores... everything I needed was within a few blocks of my home. Even in the winter in Minnesota, it was very doable. There were paved walking/biking trails all over town, and sidewalks everywhere. Dh could even walk to work, as there was a paved trail that literally went from a block away from our home to his workplace's front door.

Now we live in a smaller farming community eleven miles away from the previous town with a population of 1400 people, and while I'm still within a few blocks of everything, there isn't as much to walk to. We wouldn't move back because the COL is lower for us here, we have a much bigger yard, and there are kids for dd to play with everywhere. But man, do I miss being able to do so much walking.

Edited by Mergath

Not in our area, but there are areas where it might be possible. The majority of our city is spread out.  Population is 169,000+. so we are not a small town.

Our downtown area, has lots of specialty doctors (majority are mental health but also naturopaths, chiros, etc), but no PCPs that I can think of.  The downtown area is probably 1x2 miles wide, so while walk able, it isn't small. There are lots of small local restaurants, art galleries,1 grocery store, several tatoo parlors, 1 urgent care, small private gyms, a large park, a library, etc. The downtown is maybe 5% of our city.  The hospital is 5+miles away and that is the closest PCP medical care that I can think of. 

There are 2 main hospitals in our city, plus several large clinics.  Most medical specialties are in those clinics. I am sure some people live walking distance, but other businesses like grocery stores, restaurants aren't near by. 

Most of the small towns here are walkable...but you have to walk in the road.  The older residents are the majority and they won't pay for any repairs or new construction. They prefer to drive, so sidewalks are ignored. You'll see the group home residents being pushed in their wheelchairs on the road bc the sidewalks are horrible.  You also see all the people who drive ignore the state laws regarding pedestrians and crossing guards.  Its been good for town revenue, but most parents gave up and drive their kids to school.  The seniors take the senior van 6 blocks to the grocery store, as their walkers can't handle the sidewalks. And no one lets their kid bike.  Don't move to an area where a dominant majority sets the spending priorities unless you are in the demographic.

Every town out here in west Texas is like what you describe. Except El Paso. It's too large. But between El Paso and Midland/Odessa, all the way down south to the Big Bend, every town is walkable.

My suburban community was developed to be walkable. And it mostly is. It was initially developed in the 60s.

From my house I can walk to dental offices and doctor offices--but those professionals are not on my family's insurance plan.

Dh can walk to work. He does when weather prohibits driving (rare). Sometimes he gets on an exercise kick and does.

We can walk to grocery, some retail and a community center.

We have miles of paved trails throughout that enhance walking or commuting by bike. We also have an increasing amount of bike lanes on surface roads.

My community, Reston, VA, is often described in college urban planning textbooks. I believe Columbia, MD is also set up this way.

Now, do people take advantage of the walkability. Some people do. I do, but not as much as I should. My dh doesn't so much. Oldest ds is doing so under duress -- he's an adult who has refused to learn to drive and I refuse to drive him.

This is not a small town. It is really part of continuous DC suburbs. But you'd miss the walkability differences if you didn't look.

:001_tt1:  :001_tt1:

I lived in Reston for about 8 months of my very young adult life.   I didn't have a car at my regular disposal so I walked everywhere.  Where I lived in the town it was very do-able, but I certainly never felt like it was a walking community.  I remember people at work being pretty incredulous that I was walking to-and-from work, and I literally lived down the road.

But I loved that town center.  On my days off I would go there just to BE.  You could shop, eat, catch a movie, people watch, etc.  It was lovely and was such balm for my troubled soul those days.  I hope it's still lovely.  :) 

I grew up in a small town where you could literally walk everywhere.  In town there were doctors, dentists, chiropractors, optometrists, and then a few shops offering everything from small gifts to fine jewelry.  Local pharmacy where they knew everybody.

It was nice at times.  We lived there until DD was 8 years old.  I could get around without a car when I needed to, though I hated buying groceries and household necessities in town because the big city Wal-Mart was just 15 minutes away and I could buy everything for half the price.  But it was nice when the kids were young to be able to get around with a stroller/wagon/scooter.   

What I didn't love about the small town was that small town everyone is in everyone else's business.  I really and truly hated that aspect of it.  If you were at the doctor's office and someone who knew your mom drove by and saw you going in they would seek out your mom at the grocery store and ask if I was okay or mention that they hoped I was PG again, or something like that.  I'm a fairly private person, and when we moved to a much larger urban community I felt like a great weight had lifted.  Now I can go to the grocery store (and have my pick of about ten good options) and it's pretty certain that I won't see anyone I know.  

Where is this magical place? You can pm me if you prefer.

It is in Texas, are you still interested?  A good friend of mine is looking for the same town description as yours, but her list includes walk-able year-round, which mine isn't us.  

One thing I like about it, is that the center of town isn't gentrified and it isn't rundown.  It seems to have been kept up over the years.  

One down side with places within walking distance is that there isn't much choice.  For example, there are two churches within the walking distance area, but we aren't interested in either so we drive.  

My town is also extremely homeschool friendly.  Several years ago the local public schools were so bad the state took them over.   So, there are many initially-reluctant academically-inclined homeschoolers.  

Not useful yet, but 3 blocks away from our house is an empty field with a sign saying that there will be a community college there.  I pant at the idea that it will be ready in time for DD.  

There is also a downside.   For example, homeschool dance or art or piano classes are easy to find.   But, swimming classes are a long drive away.