Menu

Raspberry Pi computer kit for 11 year old boy who likes to tinker?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6Q4GLE/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_3_w

Am wondering about this for my son, or maybe something else? We are spending our charter school funds for next year and was thinking this might be a cool thing. My kid likes to tinker. But not sure if this is the best product? Something else? I need to make some decisions today! Thanks so much for any advice or feedback.

Also, if this is recommended, could a bright and motivated kid do it on his own? And should we also buy a book to go with it, and if so, which one?!

Edited by tammyw
  • Like 1

Thumbs up for Rpi.

There are plenty of stuff to learn with its help: coding, python, programming in Minecraft. Plenty of books for independent learning you can find on Amazon or even to download free online.

Additionally you could buy something like GoPiGo or Arduino and have lots of fun projects too.

I really love this thing.

• Like 1

Thumbs up for Rpi.

There are plenty of stuff to learn with its help: coding, python, programming in Minecraft. Plenty of books for independent learning you can find on Amazon or even to download free online.

Additionally you could buy something like GoPiGo or Arduino and have lots of fun projects too.

I really love this thing.

Thank you! What would you start with, knowing that I have $175 of charter funds left to spend (I can spend more of my own, but want to max out what I'm able to with them). I'd rather get the things that will keep him the most entertained and learning!

• Like 1

Thank you! What would you start with, knowing that I have $175 of charter funds left to spend (I can spend more of my own, but want to max out what I'm able to with them). I'd rather get the things that will keep him the most entertained and learning!

Try to google a bit about current projects for Rpi and maybe it will give you a better hint. My kids are much younger and maybe there is something else that I do not know about.

My kids are having Rpi, GoPiGo https://www.dexterindustries.com/gopigo/ They had lots of fun with it. Currently they are learning programming in Minecraft with this free book directly from Rpi's page https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/Essentials_Minecraft_v1.pdf

My eldest has a few books for kids that, i think, easy to understand.

-  One is about Rpi itself -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Adventures-Raspberry-Pi-Carrie-Anne-Philbin/1119046025/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496691718&sr=8-3&keywords=raspberry+for+kids

- Something about Scratch 

- and another one about python. I am sorry, but I cannot find right now and do not remember which one it was exactly.

• Like 2

We had an earlier version of that kit. It's very solid.

I think if you really want to blow some cash though, the GoPiGo is really neat. We've met some of the Dexter people and everything they make is nifty. And I think it's more appealing for kids. I can't remember if they're still doing this, but they were doing a monthly subscription box - you started with one kit and then got components for another every month (or two months?). I think that model works better for kids, honestly. Because otherwise they lose interest or get overwhelmed by the laundry list of projects.

Also seconding Adventures with Raspberry Pi.

• Like 1

(also from personal experience, with kids it ALWAYS better to try a small thing and then expand if/when your child has interest!  This applies to anything and everything from gymnastics to Snap Circuits to LEGO to horseback riding....always get the very minimum parts/accessories/uniforms needed for about 6 months till you really gauge their interest!!)

I decided on holding off ordering that kit with my charter funds and just waiting until fall so that I have more time to research. I appreciate all the thoughts here! I was feeling too rushed to order before the school year ended, but since it's not critical we have it, I'll just wait until it goes back in session.