Menu

Spin Off - Disney

tdbates78

We rented a condo in Lake Buena Vista resort, just outside of the Disney gate. We traveled with my in-laws and needed three bedrooms so a condo made more sense. I don't remember the exact cost, but I want to say it was just under $1000 for 5 nights, which we split with my in-laws. I know it was quite a bit lower than two seperate rooms at Port Orleans Riverside, where we originally booked. We booked through a private owner via VRBO.com. My girls loved the big pirate ship pool and it was nice to be next to the outlet mall as we needed to buy shorts because it was hotter than we anticipated. I do think the Port Orleans Riverside looked really nice, and I was disappointed to cancel our rooms there, but the condo made much more sense for our needs.   

Edited by tdbates78

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We rented a condo in Lake Buena Vista resort, just outside of the Disney gate. We traveled with my in-laws and needed three bedrooms so a condo made more sense. I don't remember the exact cost, but I want to say it was just under $1000 for 5 nights, which we split with my in-laws. I know it was quite a bit lower than two seperate rooms at Port Orleans Riverside, where we originally booked. We booked through a private owner via VRBO.com. My girls loved the big pirate ship pool and it was nice to be next to the outlet mall as we needed to buy shorts because it was hotter than we anticipated. I do think the Port Orleans Riverside looked really nice, and I was disappointed to cancel our rooms there, but the condo made much more sense for our needs.  

Port Orleans Riverside is where we stayed.  You made the right call.  I thought it was a cattle driving dump.

Disney has everything I hate all layered in one place: crappy literature, garish aesthetics, cheesy music, endless noise, crowds, passive rides, over pricing.  It's basically an assault on the senses it's contrary to the contemplative soul. To clarify, we go during low attendance times, like the week before Christmas and I still think it's too crowded.

We've been to Disney CA half a dozen times (it's a 6 hour drive from us) including a Homeschool Day at Disney, and we were invited by the in-laws to a week long all expenses paid trip to WDW FL.  I would've rather chewed off my foot, but the kids wanted to go so we sent them with the in-laws and stayed home with the baby.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 2

Disney has everything I hate all layered in one place: crappy literature, garish aesthetics, cheesy music, endless noise, crowds, passive rides, over pricing.  It's basically an assault on the senses it's contrary to the contemplative soul. To clarify, we go during low attendance times, like the week before Christmas and I still think it's too crowded.

We've been to Disney CA half a dozen times (it's a 6 hour drive from us) including a Homeschool Day at Disney, and we were invited by the in-laws to a week long all expenses paid trip to WDW FL.  I would've rather chewed off my foot, but the kids wanted to go so we sent them with the in-laws and stayed home with the baby.

:lol:

Well, there ya go, OP.  

Takes all kinds to make a world worth living in.

• Like 2

:lol:

Well, there ya go, OP.  

Takes all kinds to make a world worth living in.

The last vacation I loved is something plenty of people would hate:

-hours of phone calls to secure permits

-6 months of jogging and other cardio

-orientation and instructions for camping on tribal land

-packing 32 pounds of essential gear (camp,food, and clothes) for my share of the weight on the mule train

-8 hours of driving

-loading gear for the mule train to carry it down

-hiking for 6 hours while dodging mule trains on narrow cliff side trails

-wheelbarrowing gear 1/2 mile to campsite

-pitching camp near a world famous waterfall

-climbing down another 15 story waterfall on a series of chains and rickety ladders

-hiking 8 miles round trip to a 3rd waterfall named after the guy who died in it and climbing out over white water on a rope.The body counter wasn't there that day.  Yes, on some days it's someone's job to count people coming in and going out so if someone dies in the falls they know to recover a body.

-lounging in first waterfall and reading a book, drinking untreated water from a pipe in a rock wall

-breaking camp and loading it for the mule train at dawn and racing the run out of the canyon for 6 hours, all while dodging mule trains on narrow cliff side trails

-driving back for 8 hours

No, the kids and husband didn't go with me-they're Disney types. I went with my brother, his wife, and some of our hiking friends.

can I just say that, regardless of anything else in the thread, Disney or otherwise, I genuinely admire a parent who can set aside what they don't like, and do what the kids want, for the kids.

My kids enjoy most of it most of the time and it's fun to see them enjoying it.

• Like 3

Were you in Havasupai?   :001_wub:

A number of excursions I've loved, aren't for everyone either.  

And -- thing is -- that's true *within* my family, as well.  My youngest, middle and I like hiking and camping; my eldest and husband like urban exploration.  My two daughters like fine art museums; my son likes architecture tours.  My son and I like wandering over ancient ruins for days on end; my husband gets hot and my daughters get bored.  My eldest is the world's most intrepid eater; my youngest is vegetarian and frankly would be perfectly happy traveling the world on pasta, pizza, and rice & beans alone.  My eldest and husband like to shop; I hate to.  My husband can't get enough time on boats; my eldest... can, lol.  My eldest, middle and I all like to have the dog along; my husband and youngest think it's a PITA to do so.  My son and I like to do Habitat builds; my husband not so much and my youngest is too young.

So we take turns.  There's no one magic formula that fires all cylinders of everyone at once... and we all recognize that.  Today (or these three days) are mostly for these folks; tomorrow will mostly be for someone else; it'll all even out over the long haul. 

• Like 1

Using your reasoning, since the OP didn't like Disney (or her kids didn't anyway) and wondered if she was alone or not - shouldn't all of those who are super pro "Disney is awesome" folks skip the thread? ;)

People have reasons for why they feel the way they do (pro or con). If it bugs people to read "the other side's" reasons then skipping the thread would make sense. It doesn't make sense to tell people they have to keep their feelings and thoughts to themselves - esp when someone is asking if others had similar feelings. Some people hate Disney (vs disliking). That's ok. They're allowed to share why they feel as they do. Someone else spends every free moment there. That's ok too. They're allowed to share why they feel as they do. Readers get the full range of info that way.

No, of course not.

What bugs me is when people who have no actual experience with a thing or have nothing bit strongly negative or dismissive things to say post multiple times in a thread about that thing.

That, to me, is quote different from asking a question or adding a thoughtful opinion to a discussion.

• Like 1

No, of course not.

What bugs me is when people who have no actual experience with a thing or have nothing bit strongly negative or dismissive things to say post multiple times in a thread about that thing.

That, to me, is quote different from asking a question or adding a thoughtful opinion to a discussion.

But, on the flip side, I wasn't asking for glowing Disney reviews either. I was asking if anyone else's kids did NOT like Disney. I imagine that all of us non-Disney lovers know the arguments for why others love it so much. I will admit that I didn't love the idea of Disney before we ever went and, fair or not, had already formed plenty of opinions. I know myself and what I like to do on vacation and, unsurprisingly, Disney didn't fit that bill. I only went because of my kids. So when they did not seem to like it I was surprised and asked if other's kids felt the same way. 

NOTE TO SELF: Never post another Disney question on WTW! :p

Well looking in from the outside, but also as one who has visited both Disney parks as a youngster, it is pretty interesting to see how devoted to Disney some adults are to the parks. It may seem 'dismissive' to point this out, when it's simply an observation. 

Disney is a huge commercial enterprise that seems to have captured the hearts, and wallets, of a nation. 

I don't live in an area where making visits to the Disney parks/cruises is a normal and expected thing - a 'right of passage' for children. It's a very distant and expensive destination. There is very little local peer pressure to go. It's one choice among many vacation options. I suspect this is similar to Disney parks in other parts of the world, too. 

The last vacation I loved is something plenty of people would hate:

We're fortunate that my whole immediate family loves the same things (dislikes too).  The worst divergence among us is three of us can't stand snakes.  One can put up with them.  My youngest loves them.

As stated before, our all-time favorite FL vacation was time we spent at the Dry Tortugas - primitive camping on a small island with no cell or internet service.  We spent three nights there enjoying nature (and the Fort).  Many we share that with are aghast at the though.   :lol:  Youngest put it on my Mother's Day video as his favorite memory.  ;)  It's one of mine too - walking around the moat in the morning before and at dawn - watching the stars get erased from the sky...  :coolgleamA:  We were the only ones there (at that spot, the Fort has National Park employees, but there were no crowds - occasionally another camper or two).

No, of course not.

I haven't seen that on here.  Maybe I haven't read closely enough.  I've seen folks with experience explaining their views in more depth when others seem to question it.  I see that on both sides (pro and con).  Explaining views is better for information than simply stating them IME.  One can better decide if they are likely to agree or not with explanations.  It's tough to do that with simple "like it" or "don't like it" statements.

There is a stereotype with Disney that all kids (all ages) are supposed to love it.  Simply put, that doesn't always happen.  With limited funds, many people will want to have an educated guess as to which side they are likely to be on before spending money.  The same goes for any vacation - camping, all-inclusives, cruises, etc.  

I know many people don't care to vacation like we do with some of our trips.  I don't get offended when folks say camping is a NEVER for them - can't stand bugs, too much work, too noisy/dirty/etc.  I can't relate TBH and sometimes wonder what they're doing "wrong"  :lol:  but I don't get offended any more than I do with those who say they go to Disney for EVERYTHING (again, can't relate at all, but different strokes and all that).  I definitely wouldn't want to do Disney and stay off site or on site at a crowded place, but many love it.  That's ok - even if I can't relate.  Post about it in detail and let readers decide.

• Like 1