Menu

Good reads for winter?

I'm currently reading The Federalist Papers. After that, I'm planning on reading The Anti-Federalist Papers and may perhaps educate myself on American history as never before! I bought Thomas Paine's Common Sense and Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America. My older two daughters are studying civics now, and I realized that they know far more about our governmental structure than I ever learned in high school! Where was I during those years, anyway? When they were studying for a recent civics test, I looked through their book and thought, "Wow---I need to take this class!" Why is it that we appreciate things so much more as adults than when we're kids in high school?

I also love David McCollough; I started reading The Path Between the Seas: The Story of the Panama Canal, but set it aside for Latin and other stuff. I used to read so much! What's happened to me????

BTW, I love your blog! Keep it up!

Edited by Michelle in MO

Well, Jenn, you gave me such a thorough DRUBBING on the best-movie-ending thread that I hesitate to answer. :glare: :lol:

It depends on what you like, I guess. In wintertime, I like colder and possibly even a little bit scarier books. I'd say my winter faves are Wuthering Heights, Dracula, The Turn of the Screw, Villette, The Moor (one of Laurie King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books), Jane Eyre, The Historian, The Dante Club.... You get the idea.

Happy endings and warm locales say "summer reading list" to me. :D

Well, Jenn, you gave me such a thorough DRUBBING on the best-movie-ending thread that I hesitate to answer. :glare: :lol:

It depends on what you like, I guess. In wintertime, I like colder and possibly even a little bit scarier books. I'd say my winter faves are Wuthering Heights, Dracula, The Turn of the Screw, Villette, The Moor (one of Laurie King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books), Jane Eyre, The Historian, The Dante Club.... You get the idea.

Happy endings and warm locales say "summer reading list" to me. :D

L., you'd be so proud of me. One of the books on my list, probably my favorite, has an unhappy ending. Spoiler alert: someone DIES and then, at the end, the lose everything they have fought for throughout the entire book. But it ends with contentment and faith in God. I love it.

Now....your turn for drubbing....I've never read a Sherlock Holmes novel. Ever.

L., you'd be so proud of me. One of the books on my list, probably my favorite, has an unhappy ending. Spoiler alert: someone DIES and then, at the end, the lose everything they have fought for throughout the entire book. But it ends with contentment and faith in God. I love it.

Now....your turn for drubbing....I've never read a Sherlock Holmes novel. Ever.

WHAT?!?!? Get thee hence to the library, dear!! Holmes starts with A Study in Scarlet, but that's essentially a novella. So if you're looking for just a couple of short mysteries to get you going, try:

A Scandal in Bohemia

The Copper Beeches

The Speckled Band

The Redheaded League

I can't even think of what my life would be like without Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Wimsey, and Bertie Wooster in it. {{shudder}}

How EXCITING to think of reading Holmes for the first time!! Go! Go! Go to the library! :auto: