Menu

Spaghetti squash

Zinnia

I got a spaghetti squash in our produce co-op box today.  I haven't cooked one in years.

I'm looking for a recipe where it doesn't masquerade as pasta.  Everyone knows squash isn't pasta, and I don't like eating it that way (that's the only way I've tried it in the past).  I like squash and vegetables in general, so I'm fine with just eating it as squash....I am just not sure where to start/how to prepare.  Does anyone just eat it plain?  Is that a thing?  When I look on pinterest, it's all very involved recipes.  And that is fine.  Just don't want to put red sauce and meatballs on it.

As an aside, I know that this is my own issues.  :)  For example, I love mashed cauliflower, but I love it as cauliflower, not as a potato replacement.  And when I think of it as "just like potatoes," it sort of grosses me out.  But I love cauliflower for cauliflower's sake, and we eat it all the time.  It's completely a mental thing.  

• Like 1

I got a spaghetti squash in our produce co-op box today.  I haven't cooked one in years.

I'm looking for a recipe where it doesn't masquerade as pasta.  Everyone knows squash isn't pasta, and I don't like eating it that way (that's the only way I've tried it in the past).  I like squash and vegetables in general, so I'm fine with just eating it as squash....I am just not sure where to start/how to prepare.  Does anyone just eat it plain?  Is that a thing?  When I look on pinterest, it's all very involved recipes.  And that is fine.  Just don't want to put red sauce and meatballs on it.

As an aside, I know that this is my own issues.   :)  For example, I love mashed cauliflower, but I love it as cauliflower, not as a potato replacement.  And when I think of it as "just like potatoes," it sort of grosses me out.  But I love cauliflower for cauliflower's sake, and we eat it all the time.  It's completely a mental thing.  

I completely agree with you on eating foods for what they are and not as "just like" something else.  If I am expecting something and get something different I don't like whatever it is I received.  If I expect what I'm going to get, even if it's designed to stand in for something else, I like it a lot better because it matches the expectation.

I quite like spaghetti squash!  Here's what I do:

• Wash the outside of the squash well and dry it with a towel.  (Always wash foods before cutting them because contaminants on the outside can be dragged inside by the knife blade.)
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  • Get a stout cleaver, if you have one, or the stoutest clean knife you have.  Put the squash on a sturdy cutting board on a sturdy flat surface, and chop that baby in half the long way.
  • Scoop out the seeds and loose threads.  You don't have to be super-thorough about the loose threads, just pull them out in general without pulling the flesh away from the sides of the interior.
  • Set the seeds aside -- you can wash them up later (or not), season them, and roast them for a nice snack.
  • Wipe or paint some oil on the cut surface of each half of the squash and add seasons.  Place each half cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet.
  • Bake in the hot oven for 30-45 minutes, or until you can pierce the outside of the squash with a fork.
  • Set the pan on a rack or trivet to cool a while and turn the squash over (cut sides up) to help them cool faster.  Cool until you can handle them.
  • You can now either remove the flesh to a serving dish or cut the squash into individual servings.  To remove the flesh scrape a fork through it to get the flesh free of the rind.
  • Add butter or oil and any seasonings you like (s&p always work).  You could serve the individual pieces with a pat of butter on top, but I prefer not adding the butter until I've shredded it all free of the rind (easier to handle and less messy).

I'm the only one in my family who really likes spaghetti squash, so I'll pack up the unbuttered leftovers (either in the rind or scraped free) to have later.  It can be reheated, but I also like it cold.

I cook it as described above, and saute it with garlic and basil.  

I also love Spaghetti squash carbonara. I don't think of it as masquerading as pasta, just stringy squash with a yummy sauce on top. Word of warning, it does NOT reheat well.

• Like 1

As an aside, I know that this is my own issues.   :)  For example, I love mashed cauliflower, but I love it as cauliflower, not as a potato replacement.  And when I think of it as "just like potatoes," it sort of grosses me out.  But I love cauliflower for cauliflower's sake, and we eat it all the time.  It's completely a mental thing.  

Oh my gosh, if this is an issue, it is mine as well.  Cauliflower is not pasta, potato or bread.  Definitely not pizza crust or sandwich bread either.   But I love cauliflower all by itself!

Alas, the only thing I suggest with a spaghetti squash is to give it away.  Eating it plain as squash does make it taste more like squash but the texture is something else.  I *might* be able to eat it if it were finely pureed in a food processor though. 

• Like 1

The casserole in the Moosewood cookbook is amazing! You can probably google it but here's the gist of it: 

Cook a spaghetti squash (I stick em in the oven whole with a couple slits in the skin to save work.) 

Scrape out the insides of the squash. Mix with sauteed onion, mushrooms, & garlic, some chopped tomatoes, mozarella cheese, a bit of cottage cheese, thyme, basil, & oregano, and top with Parmesan. Bake. 

• Like 1

The casserole in the Moosewood cookbook is amazing! You can probably google it but here's the gist of it: 

Cook a spaghetti squash (I stick em in the oven whole with a couple slits in the skin to save work.) 

Scrape out the insides of the squash. Mix with sauteed onion, mushrooms, & garlic, some chopped tomatoes, mozarella cheese, a bit of cottage cheese, thyme, basil, & oregano, and top with Parmesan. Bake. 

Yes, I totally forgot about this recipe.  It is fantastic.