Menu

AP photo ID potential problem

My daughter is scheduled to take an AP exam tomorrow and I thought that the ID from the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op would suffice.  However, after a search here, it seems like it may not be accepted and that she would need a government issued ID.  

Has anyone used the ID from the HSBC and it was sufficient?  I'm truly hoping we aren't turned away, as we had a bit of difficulty scheduling this test in the first place, plus my daughter will have to wait another year.  

There is something else you can do.  I can't remember exactly now, but it would involve getting a form (available through College Board) notarized today.  If you live on the west coast, you have time if you do it ASAP.

I don't know about the ID card from HSBC.  Does it have a picture on it?  I would walk her the whole way in to the registration area, ready to show your own I.D.  When we did the notarized form for SAT French when my daughter was in 9th grade, the person checking the kids was really low key and made a comment to the affect that she would have let her in with me vouching for who she was.

• Like 1

Does she have a passport? There is some kind of form you can fill out from the College Board website, although I think it has to be notarized, maybe that would work? It doesn't sound like all the testing places have the same, strict adherence to what kind of id is needed, so you may get lucky.

The HSBC has an option for a picture.  I included a recent picture of my daughter and included the state homeschool ID number, also, even though it wasn't requested.

Thank you for the info about the form, just have to find a notary other than my bank.

Yes, there were some when my kids took theirs who brought the notarized form. Mine had passports.

This was also the case where mine took the ACT and SAT. They didn't accept a homeschool ID. It had to be a DVM ID, learner's permit, passport, an ID from a bricks-and-mortar school, or the notarized form. 

The HSBC has an option for a picture.  I included a recent picture of my daughter and included the state homeschool ID number, also, even though it wasn't requested.

Thank you for the info about the form, just have to find a notary other than my bank.

UPS stores provide that service, although they charge for it. I once had to do that on a bank holiday for a legal document.

• Like 1

None of the 4 mobile notaries worked out, but I was able to find a kind woman nearby through the NextDoor app/website who was able to sign the form with very short notice.  I'll make sure to work on a 'real' ID for my daughter before she takes the Bio SAT subject test next month!  My stress level won't settle down until this child finishes the test tomorrow.  

• Like 6

Not one of the sites we went to asked for an ID for AP exams... Just FYI. We used a passport ourselves.

*ETA - not having taken an SAT yet (first on 6/3), I understand their process is much more rigorous. So definitely have an official ID for then!

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 1

Not one of the sites we went to asked for an ID for AP exams... Just FYI. We used a passport ourselves.

The person-in-charge at my kids AP test site checked for every AP exam my kids took. My kids used passports.

My kids were checked for ID for SAT and ACT even though they are under 13 and their admission tickets say photo ID is not required. It is safer to have a photo ID than to argue with the gatekeeper. They checked passport expiry dates too.

• Like 2

After all of that, my daughter's ID wasn't even asked for, let alone checked.  I made it a point to show the facilitator both her homeschool ID and the notarized letter, but she told me it wasn't needed.  I'm definitely going to get a real ID in case we aren't so lucky the next time.

Thanks for all the feedback!  I'm learned that basically, it's up to whoever is at the test site and how they are feeling on a given day.   :laugh:

• Like 6