Menu

Vegetarian Activism

goldberry

I get it, because I loathe mayonaisse. It really chaps my hide when people think they are going to convert me to eating mayo; green-eggs-and-ham-like. (It doesn't happen often, now that I am middle-aged.) I don't trust certain people to make me a sandwich because they have tried to "sneak" mayo on there, confident that I will suddenly love the sandwich and have no idea it's because there's mayo on it. I will know! i don't like how it tastes; I don't like how it smells; I don't like the feel of it in my mouth; I don't like the sound it makes when scooped from the jar. I'm screwed at picnics and BBQs unless I bring a few things I like to share, because everyone else will bring salads of 49 types, all made with mayonaisse.

I don't know *what* I will do if I live to be ninety and have to depend on someone else to make my food for me. Is there any sort of nationality that does not have the concept of mayonaisse in their food? I will have to hire a person from that nation! ðŸ˜

You seem to be surrounded by an above average amount of mayonnaise-laden foods. I don't think I've ever been to a meal where most of the dishes had mayonnaise.

• Like 2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to be surrounded by an above average amount of mayonnaise-laden foods. I don't think I've ever been to a meal where most of the dishes had mayonnaise.

At a lot of picnics, what you'll see is coleslaw with mayo, pasta salad with mayo, potato salad with mayo, green salad with a mayo-based dressing (like ranch), and a main course. Someone who doesn't like mayo is pretty restricted to just eating the meat. 

• Like 2

How far down the line does it go?  Many farmers, especially those who grow organically, use things like blood and bone meal, or manure, to grow their plant products.  Most crops kill animals in harvesting and cultivation.  Other foods that might be acceptable are suspect because they destroy habitat or degrade the environment.  Is it also reasonable to have someone say you need to buy a particular brand of almonds, or you need to research what soil amendments the farmer uses?  What if I don't prefer to use food grown in  soils fertilized by chemical fertilizer for ethical reasons?

Ethical purity can be something of a black hole, that very quickly becomes more about perception of purity and control than any substantial difference..

I've never heard of the bone-char sugar thing until this thread. I learn a lot here. It was this board that taught me there was such a thing as vegan dance shoes. I do wonder if there is such a thing as vegan soil, and if there is will stuff grow in it? Do wastes count as an animal "product?" I'm only thinking of this because I recently harvested my worm bins. Do vegans engage in vermicomposting?

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, and I do see the folly of making Perfect the enemy of Good. I just think it's interesting. I like to cook, so I don't mind trying new recipes. Vegetarians are easy to feed. Vegans are trickier. I generally worry that the vegan recipe I'm trying today is a poor substitute for their arsenal of tried and true recipes at home. I tend to make hummus or mulligatawny soup for them and some salad. I'm guessing the yeast makes bread a no-go item, but I've never asked.

Come to Mid Michigan. Mayo is everywhere and all the elderly ladies stick it in everything as though it is a miracle food or flavoring!

At a lot of picnics, what you'll see is coleslaw with mayo, pasta salad with mayo, potato salad with mayo, green salad with a mayo-based dressing (like ranch), and a main course. Someone who doesn't like mayo is pretty restricted to just eating the meat.

Yup. It's like that. It's not in every setting, of course. It's mainly picnic/grill-out things. I just know it's a quirk of mine that most people don't think about. 😋

No, yeast is fine. Yeast is a fungus, not an animal. vegans have no issues with mushrooms.

What on earth was I thinking? I should be napping, not posting. The worst part is that my son just watched some youtube videos of budding yeast cells because he's studying . . . wait for it . . . a unit on fungus.

• Like 1

Yup. It's like that. It's not in every setting, of course. It's mainly picnic/grill-out things. I just know it's a quirk of mine that most people don't think about. 😋

Yep, I see it too. 

I don't mind a tiny bit of mayo in these but so much of the coleslaw I see consists of a few lonely shreds of cabbage doing the backstroke in an Olympic pool of mayo, which is just plain repulsive (to me). 

• Like 1

A question for the vegetarians/vegans. Do you make meat dishes for your family members and friends if you are hosting them for a meal?

My relatives does cook meat dishes as no one is a vegetarian for religious reasons. My husband's relatives are a mix of vegetarian for religious (Buddhist) or health reasons so it depends.

I have vegan friends who are vegan as a life choice and are great at grilling meat for gatherings.

I also have vegan friends who are vegan for religious reasons so any meat or egg dishes would be store bought and eaten in the backyard. No meat/eggs/dairy containing food would be cooked or reheated in their homes.