Menu

Chemistry Honors vs Regular?

I always assumed the difference between honors versus regular chem was math level, but looking around, I've noticed the content of the courses is different. This teacher's regular vs. honors (AP?) is pretty typical of what I'm seeing.

http://chemistrysky.com/Study%20Questions.html

The topics in the regular vs accelerated Novare/ Centripetal texts line up similarly.

Should a student should have regular chem before an AP/honors class? I've heard the AP Chem test is one of the more difficult ones (although we don't plan to do AP at this point, just honors).

Thanks!

Typically, honors designated courses are more rigorous simply to help smooth the path for students who want to go the AP route.  Some schools restrict them to kids who intend to do AP course work in that subject the next year. My daughter took all the AP science courses and said that AP Chem was challenging but her teacher was outstanding in (1)teaching college Chem effectively, AND (2) preparing students for AP exam. 

You could study Honors prior to AP, which I think is good for a lot of students.  Others go straight to AP level.  My daughters preferred to study Honors level first.  DD15 has just finished Honors Chem and hasn't decided whether she wants to do AP Chem yet.  I wouldn't recommend regular Chem, then Honors Chem, though. 

• Like 2

I would also have your student look at the courses. In looking at TPS Honors Chem, for example, my son was totally not up for it. Knowing he had Pre Calc/Integrated Geometry the same year he really just didn't think he had it in him.

The Novare advanced is truly advanced.

I guess that's why I am questioning this. The topics look AP to me. I know that Novare has what is really pre-chem in their advanced algebra-based physics.

• Like 1

They sell this supplement for those who go directly into the Honors w/o the ASPC course: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/product/novare-chemistry-supplement/ . Likely those topics would be in the regular book but not the advanced book since they don't assume any prior knowledge for the regular course.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 1

They sell this supplement for those who go directly into the Honors w/o the ASPC course: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/product/novare-chemistry-supplement/ . Likely those topics would be in the regular book but not the advanced book since they don't assume any prior knowledge for the regular course.

This looks to me all math and physics. I am going to assume since we did physics, we can bypass this. I hope.

Roadrunner,

if you had physics you don't need the supplement.  This is for kiddos like mine who went from nothing straight into Pre-AP Chem.  He did well in the class but it was a lot of work, he definitely would have had an easier time if he had had a decent physical science or physics class prior(he took physical science at PS before we homeschooled).

He will be going straight into their Physics Honors 2 class without prior physics, I guess he is one for punishment :-)

• Like 1

I always assumed the difference between honors versus regular chem was math level, but looking around, I've noticed the content of the courses is different. This teacher's regular vs. honors (AP?) is pretty typical of what I'm seeing.

http://chemistrysky.com/Study%20Questions.html

The topics in the regular vs accelerated Novare/ Centripetal texts line up similarly.

Should a student should have regular chem before an AP/honors class? I've heard the AP Chem test is one of the more difficult ones (although we don't plan to do AP at this point, just honors).

Thanks!

In my experience, regular chem vs. honours chem vs. AP Chem would all have differing levels of math and (somewhat) differing content.  In looking at the TOC for the Novare Advanced (Accelerated) Chem, I would say that it represents a pretty solid honours chem course but is not the same as AP Chem.  If a student were to take the Novare Acc Chem and did well, he or she would be very well set up to tackle AP Chem next.

If your student is very proficient with algebra and algebraic manipulations of formulae and is very comfortable with the dreaded "word problems" in algebra :) and is also comfortable with abstract concepts (chemistry can be very abstract), then he or she should be fine with an honours chem course like Novare as their first chemistry course.  If the student struggles with math and with abstract thought, then honours chem will probably be overwhelming.  Most students who struggle with chemistry struggle with either the math (word problems and/or algebraic manipulation) or the abstract nature of chemistry or both.

Taking a chem class (regular or honours) before AP Chem is certainly beneficial but not necessary if the student is very strong mathematically.  Taking a reg chem class before an honours chem class isn't usually done (there would be quite a bit of repetition) but certainly wouldn't harm the student. :)

If that's all as clear as mud, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. :)

• Like 4

In my experience, regular chem vs. honours chem vs. AP Chem would all have differing levels of math and (somewhat) differing content. In looking at the TOC for the Novare Advanced (Accelerated) Chem, I would say that it represents a pretty solid honours chem course but is not the same as AP Chem. If a student were to take the Novare Acc Chem and did well, he or she would be very well set up to tackle AP Chem next.

If your student is very proficient with algebra and algebraic manipulations of formulae and is very comfortable with the dreaded "word problems" in algebra :) and is also comfortable with abstract concepts (chemistry can be very abstract), then he or she should be fine with an honours chem course like Novare as their first chemistry course. If the student struggles with math and with abstract thought, then honours chem will probably be overwhelming. Most students who struggle with chemistry struggle with either the math (word problems and/or algebraic manipulation) or the abstract nature of chemistry or both.

Taking a chem class (regular or honours) before AP Chem is certainly beneficial but not necessary if the student is very strong mathematically. Taking a reg chem class before an honours chem class isn't usually done (there would be quite a bit of repetition) but certainly wouldn't harm the student. :)

If that's all as clear as mud, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. :)

I am so glad to hear this, thank you! We are doing the Novare Advanced Chem this year (10th) with me as the teacher. And the plan is for it to set him up well for AP Chem or DE Chem in 12th.
  • Like 2

Okay, next question. I noticed Wilson Hill goes from Accelerated Chem to AP Chem back to back. Unless a student loves chemistry, is there any harm in doing a year of AP Bio first before AP or DE chem?

By the way- Amazon has the non-religious version of the ASPC for a good price if anyone is considering going that route. All of the other books are the same price as the publisher: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0986352977/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Okay, next question. I noticed Wilson Hill goes from Accelerated Chem to AP Chem back to back. Unless a student loves chemistry, is there any harm in doing a year of AP Bio first before AP or DE chem?

By the way- Amazon has the non-religious version of the ASPC for a good price if anyone is considering going that route. All of the other books are the same price as the publisher: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0986352977/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think we are going to do them back to back, but I think it would be fine either way.

I had the thought that if a student is going to be taking a lot of Chem in college, it may actually be of more benefit to wait and take AP Chem or DE senior year so that it is fresh before the intro or follow up college courses. But maybe not a huge difference either way.

No harm, no. :)  AP Bio (from what I understand) is very heavily chemistry-based so it's good that your student would have Acc Chem before AP Bio.  With a year in between Acc Chem and AP Chem, there might be some forgetting of material but most AP Chem teachers (at least, I always did) will do a very quick review type of unit at the beginning to get everyone back up to snuff. :)