Menu

Alice in Wonderland movie?

While the Disney cartoon is not exactly identical to the book, it is quite fun and gentle.

I have to respectfully disagree about the recent Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film. As an adult, I found it to be pretty forgettable and not-well-made. It was all about the spectacle of the special effects, it was poorly written, and it had no character development. And for younger children, it contains disturbing, intense images. There was a strange mix of harshness and emptiness to this film, and I don't think I'm just trying to compare this one to the Disney cartoon or to the book... It just didn't... work.

(And, I do like other films by Tim Burton, and other films with Johnny Depp, but this was a miss.)

Edited by Lori D.

While the Disney cartoon is not exactly identical to the book, it is quite fun and gentle.

I have to respectfully disagree about the recent Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film. As an adult, I found it to be pretty forgettable and not-well-made. It was all about the spectacle of the special effects, it was poorly written, and it had no character development. And for younger children, it contains disturbing, intense images. There was a strange mix of harshness and emptiness to this film, and I don't think I'm just trying to compare this one to the Disney cartoon or to the book... It just didn't... work.

(And, I do like other films by Tim Burton, and other films with Johnny Depp, but this was a miss.)

Well, there you go. :-)

Although I liked this one, I felt the same way you do about Through the Looking Glass.  :-)

OP, you didn't list your children's ages.

I liked the Johnny Depp one and think it had a far better story structure and character development than the mess that is the book. There was plenty of character development with Alice finding her muchness and eventually acting on it under dire circumstances.  It's a girl power movie.  No, it isn't the tone of the Disney version, it's definitely for older kids, but it's very much the disturbing feel of the book what with the Queen ordering heads chopped off, cats vanishing into thin air, and monsters being vanquished.

The sequel, Through the Looking Glass, was very poorly done. It was a very long chase scene with lots of blue lights.  Why are the lights always blue in time travel movies?

• Like 1