Menu

Word Problems to Supplement Right Start

I'm looking for extra practice for my son to do over the summer. He has done really well with Right Start B, and we will continue with the games over summer. I'm also looking for some word problems that he can work on. Someone recommended Challenging Word Problems from Singapore Math. I might get this, but first I'm wondering if there are any other recommendations for word problems that would mesh nicely with Right Start?

Update: I just noticed the Challenging Word Problems is out of stock! Now I will definitely need some other recommendations.

ETA: Looks like they still have Challenging Word Problems Common Core Edition. Not sure exactly how they differ as the topics seem the same.

Edited by mommysanders

Illustrative Mathematics

https://www.illustrativemathematics.org (Click on Content Standards. Word problems are called "tasks.")

Inside Mathematics Problem of the Month

http://www.insidemathematics.org/problems-of-the-month/download-problems-of-the-month

Teachers Pay Teachers has a bazillion word problems, of varying quality, many of them free. Can be a good source if you're looking for the very basic straightforward type of word problem.

Edited by winterbaby
  • Like 1

Some kids make the transfer over to word problems, no problem. My dd was one of those who did RS and had no issues with word problems. We had the SM CWP (the old edition, hehe) but they were always fine for her. 

With my ds, who doesn't make that generalization so easily, I use Daily Warm-ups Problem Solving and other books from Teacher Created Resources. What I particularly like about them is they're sort of witty. And they have all kinds of stuff (brain teasers by grade level, etc.), so you can create packets that are kind of fun. 

Adding: I go across grade levels with him, so in one packet I might have materials ranging from 1st to 4th. I just look for the sweet spot on each thing.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1