Menu

Is there any reason to do all of Foersters Algebra & Trig if using DO Precalculus?

I am trying to let my kids do precalculus next year.  We will use Derek Owen.  We are not going to finish Foerster Algebra and Trig before the beginning of school.  We started it in January, and are through chapter 6.  We are going to work all summer.  The reason this is such a problem is because my son wants to take Calculus year after next (his senior year) to make sure he has some exposure before college.  He is wanting to go into mechanical engineering.  My question is do most of you recommend skipping chapters 13-15 or doing them.  I have search forums and seen suggestions for both, but wondering what to do if using Derek Owen's Precalculus.  Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Why not email Derek Owens and ask him.

His algebra 2 course does have some trig at the end of it, it looks like, so it would be good to ask.

Personally, we are using the Foerster book and covering the trig, but only because we have time to. If we did not, I would not worry too much as long as I knew the precalculus I was going to use had a thorough trig component. It really varies as to what algebra 2 courses cover. Having looked at different syllabi and online courses, I don't think there is a real standard. It looks like core (meant to say "common core") algebra 2 includes very little trig.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 2

DO does have a placement test, though in our experience it was not super helpful (daughter did fine, excelled even, in a class that the placement test indicated might be a struggle. She had done the full Teaching Textbooks Alg 2 class though.) I suspect you would be okay even without finishing the book.

You don't have to cover the trig stuff if you don't have time. DO will intro it as if you've never seen it. 

It might help to have seen it before, but you don't have to finish the Alg 2 book (trig sections) since you'll be covering it with DO's course.

DO's course outline for PreCalc:

Course Outline
These topics comprise the material normally taught in a high school precalculus course.
Chapter 1: Preliminaries
Review of topics from Algebra and Geometry; Equations; Setting Up Equations; Inequalities; Complex Numbers; Rectangular Coordinates and Graphs; Straight Lines
Chapter 2: Functions and Their Graphs
Functions; Graphing Techniques; Operations of Functions; Composite Functions; One-to-One Functions; Inverse Functions; Mathematical Models
Chapter 3: Polynomial and Rational Functions
Quadratic Functions; Polynomial Functions; Rational Functions; Synthetic Division; Zeros of Polynomial Functions; Approximating Real Zeros; Complex Polynomials; The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra;
Chapter 4: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
Exponential Functions and Graphs; Logarithmic Functions and Graphs; Properties of Logarithms; Exponential and Logarithmic Equations; Compound Interest; Growth and Decay; Logarithmic Scales
Chapter 5: Trigonometric Functions
Radian and Degree Measure; The Unit Circle; Properties of Trigonometric Functions; Right Triangle Trigonometry; Applications
Chapter 6: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
Graphs of the Sine and Cosine Functions; Sinusoidal Graphs; Applications; Graphs of Tangent, Cosecant, Secant, and Cotangent Functions; Inverse Trigonometric Functions
Chapter 7: Analytic Trigonometry
Trigonometric Identities; Sum and Difference Formulas; Double-angle and Half-angle Formulas; Product-to-Sum and Sum-to-Product Formulas; Trigonometric Equations
Chapter 8: Additional Applications of Trigonometry
The Law of Sines; The Law of Cosines; The Area of a Triangle; Polar Coordinates; Polar Equations and Graphs; The Complex Plane: DeMoivre’s Theorem
Chapter 9: Analytic Geometry
The Parabola; The Ellipse; The Hyperbola; Rotation of Axes: General Form of a Conic; Polar Equations of Conics; Plane Curves and Parametric Equations
Chapter 10: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
Solving Systems of Equations by Substitution and Elimination; Matrices; Determinants; Systems of Nonlinear Equations; Systems of Inequalities; Linear Programming
Chapter 11: Sequences, Induction, Counting, and Probability
Sequences; Arithmetic Sequences; Geometric Sequences and Series; Mathematical Induction; The Binomial Theorem;

In Alg 2, DO covers some of this in his Alg 2 class, but he won't assume you already saw it. Some kids will have forgotten all of it anyway.

Chapter 1: Equations and Inequalities
Real Numbers and Operations; Algebraic Models and Expressions; Linear Equations; Rewriting Equations and Formulas; Problem Solving with Algebraic Models; Linear Inequalities; Absolute Value
Chapter 2: Linear Functions and Equations
Functions and Graphs; Slope and Rate of Change; Graphs of Linear Equations; Writing Linear Equations; Best Fit Lines; Linear Inequalities in Two Variables; Piecewise Functions; Absolute Value
Chapter 3: Systems of Equations
Solving Systems by Graphing; Solving Systems Algebraically; Systems of Linear Inequalities; Linear Programming; Linear Equations in Three Variables; Systems of Equations in Three Variables
Chapter 4: Quadratic Functions
Graphing Quadratic Functions; Solving Quadratic Equations with Square Roots; Complex Numbers; Completing the Square; The Quadratic Formula; Graphing and Solving Quadratic Inequalities
Chapter 5: Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
Properties of Exponents; Graphing Polynomial Functions; Adding, Subtracting, and Multiplying Polynomials; Factoring and Solving Polynomial Equations; The Remainder and Factor Theorems; Finding Rational Zeros; The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra; Graphs of Polynomial Functions
Chapter 6: Powers, Roots, and Radicals
Roots and Rational Exponents; Power Functions; Inverse Functions; Square Root and Cube Root Functions; Solving Radical Equations
Chapter 7: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
Exponential Growth; Exponential Decay; The Number e; Logarithmic Functions; Properties of Logarithms; Solving Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
Chapter 8: Rational Equations and Functions
Inverse and Joint Variation; Graphing Simple Rational Functions; Graphing General Rational Functions; Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions; Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions, Complex Fractions; Solving Rational Equations
Chapter 9: Conic Sections
The Distance and Midpoint Formulas; Parabolas; Circles; Ellipses; Hyperbolas; Graphing and Classifying Conic Sections
Chapter 10: Sequences and Series
Arithmetic Sequences and Series; Geometric Sequences and Series; Infinite Geometric Series; Recursive Rules for Sequences
Chapter 11: Trigonometric Ratios and Functions
Right Triangle Trigonometry; Angles and Radians; Trigonometric Functions; Inverse Trig Functions; The Law of Sines; The Law of Cosines; Parametric Equations
Chapter 12: Trigonometric Graphs, Identities, and Equations
Graphing Trigonometric Functions; Translations and Reflections of Trigonometric Graphs; Trigonometric Identities; Solving Trigonometric Equations; Sum and Difference Formulas; Double Angle and Half Angle Formulas

Edited by RootAnn

Why not email Derek Owens and ask him.

His algebra 2 course does have some trig at the end of it, it looks like, so it would be good to ask.

Personally, we are using the Foerster book and covering the trig, but only because we have time to. If we did not, I would not worry too much as long as I knew the precalculus I was going to use had a thorough trig component. It really varies as to what algebra 2 courses cover. Having looked at different syllabi and online courses, I don't think there is a real standard. It looks like core (meant to say "common core") algebra 2 includes very little trig.

Thank you. I hadn't thought of emailing DO.

You don't have to cover the trig stuff if you don't have time. DO will intro it as if you've never seen it.

It might help to have seen it before, but you don't have to finish the Alg 2 book (trig sections) since you'll be covering it with DO's course.

In Alg 2, DO covers some of this in his Alg 2 class, but he won't assume you already saw it. Some kids will have forgotten all of it anyway.

This is what I was needing to hear. At least if I decide to skip chapters, the material will covered as if they might not had gone over material before.

Why all or none?

Sample the beginning parts of chapters 13-15 and do a few problems - having some Trig exposure before PreCalc is a good way to go.

You could do this in a week maybe two.

(my textbook is out on loan to a friend so I can't give you specific sections).

• Like 1

Well, I went ahead an emailed Derek Owens. He recommended finishing Foerster book trig chapters included. He said he had another student recently that did what I was wanting do, skip end chapters, and the student really struggled. We will just work through as long as it takes, and may just have to start Precalculus later.

• Like 1