Menu

CLE vs Singapore

mommaslp

I want something that teaches some conceptual math, and I know SM has that one in spades... but does CLE also teach any conceptual?  Are they both the same as far as ease of teaching (are the TM's in both easy to use to teach from or is one easier than the other)?  With CLE i was considering supplementing with some education unboxed videos and right start lessons.  i like how straight forward CLE is and it seems like a strong program, but I am also very interested in SM.  thoughts from anyone who has used both? 

Where Singapore shines with the conceptual stuff is really in the HIGs. My 7yo and 5yo are currently using CLE and it's pretty conceptual because that's how I naturally teach math. If you're not math-y or haven't done SM a few times around, I'd stick with SM.

Thanks!  Is SM and CLE both the same effort to teach from the TMs?  or is one more user friendly?  I have taught Right Start and used SM for one whole year (level 1a and 1b), i have also taught Math Mammoth for this past year.  I am not "mathy" but I do get the conceptual teaching, I think.  I just wanted a curriculum that helped me implement it and didn't rely solely on me remembering how to do it, lol!  It sounds like CLE might be a good mix?  I feel like it seems easier to teach and it has more review built in, am I right?  

We started out with Singapore and then went to BJU because Singapore was seriously stressing me out. I'm not mathy at all, and I would seriously sit at the kitchen table with all of the books open (in 2nd grade!) and try to figure out HOW to teach what I was supposed to be teaching. I found the HIG so daunting and confusing. We then went to BJU for 2nd and 3rd and I loved that it had all that I needed to say plus lots of colorful manipulatives in the teaching manual.

I found out my son needed more review though, and so went to CLE for 4th. It's been a really good fit for him and SO EASY for me to teach. The difference to me is that my son can read the very clear step by step directions, and basically figure out how to do it. I am just there if he needs help or teaching of the concepts. It's been a very stress free year with math. He just took the ITBS and so I'll be very curious to see how he does on the math part. I'm hoping a little better with the constant review that CLE has. He would often say "but I did that like, 2 months ago...I can't remember!". But he can't say that with CLE because it reviews so thoroughly. I WILL say that I supplement with Singapore's Intensive practice and Challenging Word Problems, because I think CLE's word problems are pretty basic. I just like having 2 types of programs that teach things from different angles.

But-I would never stray from CLE at this point as my base program because it's been so easy to implement (and that's saying a lot since I'm totally language oriented). I would suggest supplementing, but that would be up to you. The work they are required to do every day is pretty meaty so you'd have to be careful not overdo it. I basically do a word problem or two a day and fill in with the other stuff as time/energy allow. HTH!

• Like 1

We started with Singapore and switched to CLE around grade 3. I loved Singapore initially but the passion waned... I found it hard to teach, so much prep to do it properly .... and there was very little retention. CLE is practically zero prep, very independent, a little bit advanced, and my kids both enjoy it (as much as you can enjoy math).

I switched to CLE mid-way through 5th grade. The topics covered mirrored Singapore very well. I planned to add conceptual instruction to CLE. I have done that, but not nearly as much as I expected. I really like the spiral in CLE. It's written to the student, so easy to teach compared to the other programs I've used (RightStart, Singapore, Math in Focus).

I do think CLE is weak in word problems. Singapore FAN math Process Skills and Problem Solving is a great addition to CLE for that reason. It also adds some challenge. CLE is so incremental and spiral that it feels easy--stretching is good for brains, so I like the FAN math for that as well. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We tried just about every math program early on, including Singapore and CLE, and I ultimately decided I like BJU best for conceptual teaching in elementary, but we moved back to CLE for 6th.  It has done a nice job of shoring up all of the elementary concepts, in addition to teaching the new 6th grade ones.  We also add the FAN math Process Skills in Problem Solving and Math Express books for more challenge in that area.  I'm trying to decide if we will continue with CLE going forward, but overall the setup works for us.  I do feel sometimes it lacks in conceptual teaching, and if you are willing to find additional instruction (we usually find a Khan Academy or YouTube video), you can make it work.  My concern is whether or not I'll always know what is lacking/missing going forward, hence the struggle to determine if we'll stay with it or not.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

I started oldest DS with Singapore and really liked how they taught the mental math. There are a lot of strong points with Singapore in the early years. I switched him to A Beka in 5th grade (hadn't heard of CLE at that point) because:

1) too much teacher prep

2) my son really needed more review of past concepts, i.e. a spiral program

3) I don't think they taught fractions well

He did A Beka in 6th and then we put him in b&m school for junior high.

All the kids I am currently homeschooling are doing CLE math and it is going very well. It is a very independent program. The way it teaches fractions is really good and it has plenty of review.