Menu

Order in which to use the "Key To" math series?

MeganW

THANK YOU to the person who recommended the Key To series the last time I came on crying about my math-hater who needs some remediation.  Best advice EVER!!

I ordered Key To Decimals book 1, and she LOVED it.  The very clear, very basic, step-by-step instructions were exactly what she needed, and she has soared with Singapore on the topics covered previously by the Key To book.  It is the only light I have seen in the tunnel in a long time with this kid, and has her thinking that just maybe, she MIGHT be able to learn math!

She has asked to use other books in the series this summer instead of something else.

If you were planning to do ALL the Key To books, what order would you do them in?  (Not all this summer, obviously, but eventually!)  

- Do you do all of Fractions, then all of Decimals, and then all of Percents?  

- Book 1 from each series, then Book 2 from each, etc.?  

- Fractions and Decimals first, then Percents once those are done?  

- Knowing that we only have 3 months so clearly we can't do the entire series, would you prioritize some over others?

- Where does Measurement fit in - before F, D, & P or after?  Goodness knows this child struggles with that topic too!  

- I assume Geometry & Algebra come after all the rest, but before a full curriculum on that topic?

Key to Fractions (4 books)

Key to Decimals (4 books)

Key to Percents (3 books)

Key to Measurement (4 books)

Key to Metric Measurement (4 books)

Key to Geometry (8 books)

Key to Algebra (10 books)

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

• Like 1

I think Fractions and Decimals followed by Percents.

You can do Measurement and Metric Measurement at the same time as F, D, and/or P. Or after. Or before. Really, totally different topics. You can do them whenever.

Geometry is the only one I have no experience with. It's intended to be a high school style geometry though. So it technically should be after Algebra because a decent geometry will involve algebra. Except... the Key to series is so light that I'm not sure if you really do need algebra first in this case. Hopefully someone can clarify that.

ETA: I don't mean to imply that the Key to books aren't good or "enough" when I say it's light. It covers what you need. It's so well scaffolded. It just doesn't go far enough for the most part.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

So, Key to Algebra is NOT a full algebra curriculum? It is more of  a review of selected "tough" topics?

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I think the Key To series is intended to be a prequel for those who may need it, or to be used for remediation.  I think it is more of an "extra help" on the basics than a full curriculum.  

My math brainiac thinks they are ridiculously simplistic and boring, but they are perfect for my kid who needs to not be overwhelmed and just needs small bites at once.

Edited by MeganW

So, Key to Algebra is NOT a full algebra curriculum? It is more of  a review of selected "tough" topics?

Thanks!

I think it is intended to be a full program. But hardly anyone uses it that way. It introduces everything and has great, step by step instructions and problems that help kids really get the basics down. The thing I see is that it doesn't ever take it to the next level. Like, in the two algebra programs my kids are using, there's a set of easy, medium/standard/ and hard problems for every lesson (in Jacobs, it's the Set I, II, III, and IV, in Dolciani it's the A, B, and C problems). The Key to Algebra is like if you only ever did the first half of the easy (Set I or A) problems. So, if you're struggling with a topic, that's PERFECT. You need more of those easy ones and the Key to books have plenty of good practice. Or if you have a math student who is really challenged and needs to go through a much easier program then I think the Key to books (like Teaching Textbooks or MUS's algebra - which I understand are a bit more, but also much easier than a standard program) then this would be a good way to satisfy that requirement. Or if you want to do a light, confidence building introduction to all the topics before diving in with more difficult material, they would work well.

• Like 2

I may be wrong, but I think the Key To series is intended to be a prequel for those who may need it, or to be used for remediation.  I think it is more of an "extra help" on the basics than a full curriculum.  

My math brainiac thinks they are ridiculously simplistic and boring, but they are perfect for my kid who needs to not be overwhelmed and just needs small bites at once.

What grade level did you start these at for this child? I have one who has similar needs.

What grade level did you start these at for this child? I have one who has similar needs.

That's a harder question than you might think.  :)  

This child will be 12 in a few days.  I held her back before kindergarten, so she is finishing 5th grade now.  BUT, we go to a university model (2 day a week) school, and when they initially tested her, they held her back.  She is currently finishing Singapore Standards 4b at school.  She has an A in the class, but I would say she truly understands maybe 80% as it is taught, and understanding drops off rapidly if not reviewed incessantly.

Doing it again, I would probably do the Key To Fractions and Decimals books before we hit those topics in Singapore.  I didn't realize what a life-saver this books were going to be!  We have tried everything else under the sun, and this is the first glimmer of hope we have seen.

• Like 3

Not MeganW, but I think you can use the Measurement ones whenever - maybe starting in 3rd or 4th grade for a child who's more or less on track with math? For the Fractions, Deciamls, and Percents, I'd say they're best once a child has mastered the four basic operations. But any time after that. Both the fractions and decimals books start at a level that's very basic - I think a lot of pretty young kids could do it. But it's really geared toward backing up for slightly older kids and to get the best use of them, I'd say hold off a little.

These are most definitely *not* full courses.  I think they are good for young children who want an introduction or for older children who need a very straightforward presentation and some confidence boosting.  I'd consider them a nice supplement/introduction/aid to comprehension but thinking of them as a full course will get you in trouble, particularly for the algebra and geometry series.