Menu

Jerusalem/Israel

EmilyGF

So, it looks like our family is going to be spending a few months in Israel (most likely Jerusalem) next year. DH will be working there on a big data project for a few months; the group he's working with will take care of our housing, so the logistics aren't my problem. :-)

Any ideas on how to make it a great trip? Things to read or study beforehand? For the kids?

Emily

• Like 3

nothing specific.  2ds has a friend who is there now (for 2 or 3 years) and is loving it.  she's learned alot, and toured all over the country.  there are places you don't go at night, but are safe during the day.  it's very different than living in the states - but she's loving it.

she was here in jan/feb so it was fun to visit. 

• Like 1

The kids would be fascinated with swimming in the Dead Sea for sure.

This is a tremendous opportunity to explore the places you read in the Bible.

If you have a favorite Bible story, that would be a good way to pick and choose places to go.

The Sea of Galilee is absolutely beautiful.  I loved that Mt. Hermon was covered with snow, but a day's drive away put you in the Dead Sea! Very diverse country!

The Temple Mount and Garden of Gethsemane area are humbling places to visit with Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection in mind.

Israel is an amazing place to visit!

• Like 3

I've read a lot of books about the history of Jerusalem, but I think my favorite is Simon Sebag Montifiore's _Jerusalem: The Biography_.

No matter what your religion/sect, learn about the history of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre because it's a fascinating building with too many stories to count. Same for the Dome of the Rock.

There's a little place near the Church of the Holy Sepulchre called Zalatimo's that sells mutabbaq and you must try it.

• Like 3

I was there in 1996. Amazing trip!! 

One of my favorite things was taking a picnic breakfast up onto the walls of the Old City and watching the sun come up and the city come to life. 

Seconding the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea.

The Western Wall, of course.

One thing that was helpful and fun was to see a scale model of the Old City as it was in Roman/NT times. (at a hotel or a university? I can't remember.) Helpful to have that in my mind as I walked around with my map. 

• Like 3

I was there in 1996. Amazing trip!!

One of my favorite things was taking a picnic breakfast up onto the walls of the Old City and watching the sun come up and the city come to life.

Seconding the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea.

The Western Wall, of course.

One thing that was helpful and fun was to see a scale model of the Old City as it was in Roman/NT times. (at a hotel or a university? I can't remember.) Helpful to have that in my mind as I walked around with my map.

The model was at the Holy Land Hotel, but now it's in the Israel Museum. Definitely worth a stop. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holyland_Model_of_Jerusalem

• Like 2