Menu

cell phone issues

Janeway

My phone is having issues. It will actually not work as a phone anymore. I can take it to the Apple store and have it "repaired" for $200, but I did that 6 months ago and now it is not working again. It is a 5S. So I was using my husband's phone. And his phone, the touch pad does not work anymore. Between the two phones together, we have 1 phone basically. I can hot spot his phone and connect to mine. Then I can use the touch pad on my phone. (his touch pad works a little bit, so you can answer the phone sometimes, but not always. Dialing cannot happen, but touching a contact can often happen even if you have to try a few times).

I figure we should just wait and see and just deal with this. My phone has been out of commission for a few weeks. He tells me his has been doing this a few weeks. But does anyone have good advice on the best deals for iphones or what to do to repair this? I already replaced the Sim card, but that did not cut it. Is anyone else having similar issues with their iphone 5s?

• Like 1

My phone is having issues. It will actually not work as a phone anymore. I can take it to the Apple store and have it "repaired" for $200, but I did that 6 months ago and now it is not working again. It is a 5S. So I was using my husband's phone. And his phone, the touch pad does not work anymore. Between the two phones together, we have 1 phone basically. I can hot spot his phone and connect to mine. Then I can use the touch pad on my phone. (his touch pad works a little bit, so you can answer the phone sometimes, but not always. Dialing cannot happen, but touching a contact can often happen even if you have to try a few times).

I figure we should just wait and see and just deal with this. My phone has been out of commission for a few weeks. He tells me his has been doing this a few weeks. But does anyone have good advice on the best deals for iphones or what to do to repair this? I already replaced the Sim card, but that did not cut it. Is anyone else having similar issues with their iphone 5s?

Did you call Apple and ask if their repair from 6 months ago is under warranty?

• Like 2

Was the problem you paid Apple USD $200 to fix, the same problem you are having at this time? If so, I would not pour any more $ into a phone with the same recurring issue.   We are Android people, so I don't know anything about Apples, except that they are usually very high quality products and that they are costly to repair.  For USD$200 I could take you to the Alkosto store in Cali, Colombia, the store where we've purchased 3 Unlocked/Unbranded Motorola phones and one Unlocked/Unbranded Lenovo phone (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility) in the past 14 months.  You would get a nice phone, with a one year factory warranty for USD$200, which includes the VAT tax.

I do not know the replacement cost of the phone you have, but in general, I think if a repair costs more than 25% or 30% of what a  brand-new replacement item would cost, it is better to go with the new item, with a factory warranty.   That would apply to cell phones, Refrigerators,  TVs, computers, etc.

NOTE: I looked on eBay for 1 minute. You can buy a brand new, but locked, 5s, on the Virgin Mobile network (it says they use the Sprint network, so I think that's CDMA technology) for USD $175 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-5s-16GB-Space-Gray-Virgin-Mobile-Smartphone-NEW-NIB-/302275253615?hash=item466102556f:g:SW8AAOSw03lY5i6-

Or, you can buy an unloccked GSM phone for USD $225 including shipping here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apple-iPhone-6-5s-16GB-Space-Gray-Gold-Silver-GSM-Unlock-Smartphone-/292021245884?var=&hash=item43fdd297bc:m:mB2m1JpP1hUPaRPfeNhFTLA

(Check the model number because the listing shows 2 different iPhone models)

I SUGGEST THAT YOU THINK LONG AND HARD, BEFORE YOU CONSIDER, LET ALONE CONTEMPLATE, SPENDING ANOTHER USD $200 FOR  APPLE TO "REPAIR" YOUR OLD IPHONE

@Janeway   Suggestion: If you have not already done this, I suggest that you  turn the phone off and then take the SIM card and the SD Memory out of the phone. Have the battery fully charged before you do this....  In the Settings, you should find a "Factory Reset" or some other option, that will wipe out everything and restore the phone to the way it was when it left the factory. That will wipe out your Contacts, photos, etc. in the process...

After that, insert the SIM card into the phone again and see if it works.

If not, with the SIM card in the phone, look at the indicator for Signal Strength.  If it is strong, probably the lead to the antenna is not broken.  If it is at zero, that's a possibility. Other possibilities could be a defective Transceiver or that the Transmitter or Receiver section is not operating. It is difficult/impossible to know what symptoms you are seeing, when you write that it doesn't work as a phone now.  It could be a lead on the circuit board that is broken. Our "cell phone doctor" would look at it and give you an estimate, for free, but the phone isn't here...

If the Factory Reset does not bring it back to life, and, if you are happy with that model, I would suggest that you buy another iPhone of that same model. If you do that, you will have your current, problematic, iPhone to use for spare components, if  you should need them. For example, you would have 2 batteries for that model.

I would NOT suggest paying Apple another USD$200, to repair a problematic phone that you can buy New on eBay for approximately that amount of money. GL

I watched the video review of the iPhone 5S on this URL:

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-iphone-5s/

For someone like me who knows Androids, and nothing about iPhones,  it sounds like a nice phone, with the exception of the very  tiny 4" display.  My very-low-end-2014 Samsung has a 4.5" display.

NOTE: If you buy a new iPhone 5S, to replace yours, I would try to get a guarantee that covers the battery too. Those phones are, like my Samsung, several years old.

The camera sounds pretty nice and the Fingerprint Scanner too.