Menu

Mathematical Reasoning

happynurse

Has anyone used Mathematical Reasoning? Can you share some insight on it?

I'm looking at Level A for Kindergarten next year. We're currently in Righstart A, and I own Rightstart B (both 2nd Ed.) as well. However, I'll be honest, it's a struggle for both of us to get it done. I don't think it fits my teaching style, and my son doesn't seem to care for it either. I think he'd much prefer a colorful workbook (he loves handwriting) and I am certain it would get done much, much more effectively than Righstart is at the moment. (I'd still whip out the Abacus and manipulatives to enhance math when needed.)

Thoughts on this program? Thanks!

We tried it and didn't like it.

It felt disjointed.  There was little to no explicit teaching.  It seemed like a series of worksheets jammed together, much in the style of the supermarket-available math books.  I was a little frustrated to have spent nearly $40 on it to have my kid hate it.

We moved into MEP and it was much better.  The lessons were well crafted, I could bring out the manipulatives as needed, and the thinking skills expected were way above Mathematical Reasoning.  I thought my kid would miss the color (the worksheets look dull) but he really enjoyed it and it prepared him very well for Beast Academy.

• Like 2

We only used Book A for kindergarten. I am guessing some would say you don't even need a curriculum for kindergarten so while I agree with HomeAgain that it is like a bunch of colorful worksheets together, I really didn't care at that time. I just wanted something for K that my kid would enjoy. We switched to Math in Focus for 1st. I didn't like their K product. 

ETA: You know, HomeAgain is right--it might be worth looking for  K math workbook at Costco or something if you are only looking for something colorful. It would likely be cheaper. K math is so simple. I am sure you could work out the teaching aspect of it on your own. 

ETA: Have you looked at Horizons K material?

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1