Menu

Strategies to succeed with Foersters Algebra 2??

Hi,

After looking at many options for Algebra 2, my twins have both decided they would like to continue using the Algebre 2 Foerster's book.  We are in Chapter 2 and I am looking for any ideas-other than take notes, listen to lecture, do problems, review-that wold be helpful to succeed in this book.  We did Lial's Elementary Algebra for Algebra 1 and they did well-one was about 94% the other was 91%.  One twin is naturally smart in math and it comes failry easy for him.  The other one is a bit behind in maturity level, but holds his own.

What did you find that helped your son or daughter succeed in this book?  Also, I heard that there might be some concepts that are unnecessary for a straight Algebra 2 credit.  Could someone tell me what this might be??  We will do Precalculus after Algebra 2, regardless of how far we get in this book.

Thanks so much,

Many syllabi out there do not cover the whole book as MWB does.

examples;

http://jtoy.wikidot.com/algebra-2-syllabus

[snip]  oops not same book

look at Core Alg 2:

http://www.kolbe.org/files/8014/5228/2359/FoersterAlgebraIIANDAlgebraIIandTrig.pdf

table of contents

http://www.slader.com/textbook/9780201861013-algebra-and-trigonometry-functions-and-applications-expanded-second-edition/

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

I'm working through the Alg2 book on my own right now with Math Without Borders in preparation to teach it in the fall. Unfortunately i don't have any suggestions because i'm currently just watching the videos, taking notes, and doing the problems. Occasionally stopping and doing more practice on Khan academy when i feel i need it. (I was so glad to see the back of that logarithm chapter!! LOL)

I will tell you that a friend gave me her Kolbe syllabus that uses the same text. There are 2 tracks, a Core Alg2 and Honors Alg2/Trig. The core track only covers chapters 1-10, and it seems like even with that not all sections from those chapters. The Honors track covers all chapters, possibly skipping some sections too (i'm still looking this over, just got it yesterday). I'm planning on trying to do a hybrid... Not worry about getting to ALL of those last 5 chapters but trying to at least do the 2 on Trig. The Kolbe syllabus skips around a bit too.. and i'm going to try to figure out why today.

If you have any questions let me know! :)

Edited by Wendy Inman

Why are both syllabuses on Kolbe skipping chapters 11 and 12? For both versions of the class, honors and regular?

Why are both syllabuses on Kolbe skipping chapters 11 and 12? For both versions of the class, honors and regular?

Those chapters are sequences and series and probability. I think it makes more sense to do those and leave off the trig chapters 13-15, if you are going to skip something, since presumably trig will follow the next year in precalculus. But a lot of precalculus books also cover the material in chapters eleven and twelve. This probably explains why a couple of online courses cover the entire book over two years, and consider the second year precalculus. I would not do that, because what

I remember of my high school precalculus class was much more than that.

One of the first two links from above from MarkT's post isn't using the same book, FYI. Maybe it is a revised version made for a specific market? But it has a different title and the chapters mentioned have different titles than the book called Algebra and Trigonometry.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

I think some providers consider the probability and series stuff to be covered by other classes. (Homeschool Connections Alg 2 class skips the Prob. Chapter but skins through the series one. Teacher said it was covered in Alg 1 and several other classes, so she wasn't going to waste time on it. (In my experience, those topics are usually skipped when time is short and not covered in many classes.)

Doing odds in most sections and all the story problems were what was recommended to us. Dd is using the Homeschool Connections class, so doesn't do that. Last several chapters are clearly trig and will be covered again in Pre-Calc, so you could stop before then.

Foerster himself suggested not using the trig chapters in his Alg 2 book and instead doing his pre-Calc book. (I own the first edition of his pre-Calc book and dislike its presentation and philosophy (calculator-heavy), so we will not be using it.)

Those chapters are sequences and series and probability. I think it makes more sense to do those and leave off the trig chapters 13-15, if you are going to skip something, since presumably trig will follow the next year in precalculus. But a lot of precalculus books also cover the material in chapters eleven and twelve. This probably explains why a couple of online courses cover the entire book over two years, and consider the second year precalculus. I would not do that, because what

I remember of my high school precalculus class was much more than that.

I would cover some Trig.

You also may want to consider what the ALGEBRA 2 COMMON CORE topics are:

https://mathbitsnotebook.com/Algebra2/Algebra2.html

https://emathinstruction.com/common-core-algebra-ii/

example course description:

"

531 Algebra 2  (Grade 10,11)      

This course follows the New York State Syllabus for Algebra 2/Trigonometry and includes topics in functions, probability, statistics, logarithms, and trigonometry.  The Algebra 2 (Common Core) Regents Examination will be taken in June.

"

Edited by MarkT