Menu

British meat pies

xixstar

It's funny, British cuisine used to be made fun of.  Maybe it was the post-war effect.

I remember when that was the case. When I visited England in the 1980s we went out for many different types of food. British food wasn't one of them.

Like a lot of cuisines, I'm sure British cuisine has changed over time and is updated. Granted, meat pies aren't necessarily "updated" food, but one can make them with less fat and more flavor than they might once have had. 

Meat and Potato Pie

1 package pie dough

1/2 lb ground beef

1/2 bag of green beans

4 potatoes, diced small

1 package onion soup mix (or 2 beef bouillon cubes, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic salt, and whatever other spices you like)

1 c water

Gravy (however you get gravy--in a can or from some other meal, homemade.)

Spray pie pan with cooking spray, or butter it.

Unroll one half of the pie dough into bottom of pan

Mix all the other ingredients together EXCEPT THE GRAVY.

Put ingredients into pan EXCEPT THE GRAVY.

Unroll the second half of the pie dough on top of the ingredients and squish the rims of the dough together so the pie crusts form a seal.

Cut vent slits into the crust.

Bake at 325 for 2 hours.

Serve with gravy.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Its all about the crust.  A hot water crust, the kind used for meat pies, is super fun to make. I make a vegetarian raised pie for Thanksgiving, and every year it is the most popular dish on the table...even with the meat eaters.

But try making one yourself. There are LOTS of videos of how to make a hot water crust etc on youtube etc. It's not hard, I promise

ETA: you can't make a raised pie, the kind meant to hold in a meat gravy and stand on it's own after it is cooked, with a regular pie crust or puff pastry. Well, you can make a meat pie with regular pie crust (pate brisee) but it won't be a raised pie. It will have to be served from a pie pan. If you want to make a proper raised pie, like a pork pie, then you need a hot water crust. It can hold the gravy in and stand on it's own

Edited by redsquirrel

I am building up excitement to make a raised pork pie this weekend.

But I would still rather just buy one. Sure the D.C. Metro area could make that possible.

The list from BBC America has one in Vienna, VA:

The Pure Pasty Co., located at 128 Church Street Northwest, Vienna, VA, is topped up with savory pasties like the traditional style, chicken cordon bleu, curry, lamb, and serves savory pies like steak and kidney, and pork. You can sit and eat or have it to go. The pasty comes with a twisted closing that you can use as a handle, and even walk and eat. Ta-da.

I want them all....Unfortunately I have the flu, and couldn't hold down a banana I ate last night. At least there is a place in my state I can visit when I am better.