Menu

can someone explain to me....

ProudGrandma

I use my phone as a hotspot frequently.  We don't live in the Land of Public Wifi here - public wifi spots are few and far between.  So if I'm out and want to use my iPad to surf the internet, I fire up the hotspot on my phone and connect to it.  It's password protected, so it's only available for me to use.

ETA: yes - most cellular carriers will sell you a mobile wifi device (sometimes called MiFi) that you can use to connect to the cellular data network and use as a hotspot.  They work just fine and are pretty easy to use.

Edited by AK_Mom4

Do you have a smartphone?  If so, you can turn it into a hotspot.  You do not need unlimited data to do so. 

but it will use my data minutes, yes?  I have a tracfone, smart phone...

the main reason we would use it is for my kids to use it for on line classes while camping.  So it's not like it would be used to quickly check the weather or emails.  

Does that information make a difference.

This is why I need someone to explain how this works....I know absolutely nothing about it.  thanks.

We have a separate hotspot (as well as our phones).  It is included in our monthly bill as a separate device (it costs us a fee each month like a phone) and like your phone data, it has a certain amount allowed from that device.  You will still need to be in a place where you receive cell service.  It will allow you to have other devices use the data like you would with a wireless network at home.  You can turn off the data/block devices so it doesn't use your gb when you don't want it to.  We have used ours while traveling in the car and in places we don't have access to wireless and it's worked well for us.

• Like 1