Menu

Ancient Egypt and Ancient Israel - what are your favorite resources?

Plaid Dad

I'm looking for some good books, fiction or nonfiction, about these civilizations. I'm mostly hoping to find things through our library system.

We already have the DK Ancient Egypt book, a Bible Lands volume, The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, and Tales of Ancient Egypt.

What else have your dc enjoyed? This will be for a second grader with very strong reading skills (7th grade level at least).

The Story of the Ancient World from Nothing New Press. I was initially miffed because I thought this text was supposed to deal with many different ancient cultures on their own, but it only deals with those cultures as they affected Israel. We enjoyed it for our studies of Israel, it was very useful. Probably not going to find it at your library though.

I also like the Holman Bible Atlas. It was great maps and charts.

I really liked the Guerber book on Ancient Civilization from Nothing New Press as well. One other one that comes to mind is a Landmark book entitled Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt. My best suggestion is to check the VP catalog. They do this time period in Grade 2, but have many, many book suggestions which are often well above grade level. The Landmark book is in there, I believe. Golden Goblet, Hittite Warrior, God King, Mara Daughter of the Nile (there are a couple of kisses and flirting in there, however), and Riddle of the Rosetta Stone are all available through VP. Tirzah is another title that is suggested which might really be nice for a girl. I don't think the reading level is all that high, but it is supposed to be quite good. The Victor Journey, as previously mentioned, is wonderful!

Cynthia

Here are the ones I've used successfully in TOG Year 1 so far:

Christ in the Passover (produced by Jews for Jesus) -- an excellent and fun-to-watch look at how the elements of the Passover point to Christ (children will enjoy this, and adults will be blown away).

The Exodus Revealed (Questar) -- thought-provoking new information about the route Moses took through the Sinai Peninsula.

The Tabernacle (Vision Video) -- a little lame, but might be worth watching. Making a model (Amazon has some) of the Tabernacle and Solomon's Temple are worthwhile activities also.

Archenemy: The Philistines (History Channel) -- This has a lot of great info in it and is very Bible-friendly.

Quest for the Phoenicians (National Geographic) -- A little tedious at times, but still worth watching, especially for students who have read "Hittite Warrior" (which takes place in Tyre).

Lost Civilizations (Time Life) -- I love these DVDs! I purchased the whole set for around $40 from Amazon, and it was a great investment. We have watched Mesopotamia over and over again (in the beginning of the year, while studying the Fertile Crescent, and again during Assyria and Neo-Babylon). We also watched Aegean civilizations when we studied Mycenae, Crete, and Troy. Some occasional brief nudity in paintings and statues. I never got around to watching Egypt and Ancient China, for some reason. I'll have to go back and watch those episodes.

Hope this helps!!

Wow, this is cool. I'm not sure how much of the 40-minute program they show, but I've watched 17 minutes so far. Here's the link:

http://jewsforjesus.vodpod.com/video/32666-christ-in-the-passover?c=sort.popularity

Hope you enjoy it!

P.S. If this link doesn't work, just google in "Christ in the Passover+Jews for Jesus+DVD" and it should come right up.

The Veritas Press list is great and includes both picture and chapter books at a variety of reading levels. Here's the link to their online catalog history of Egypt page:

http://www.veritaspress.com/products.asp?dept=1020&pagenumber=2&sort_on=&sort_by=

TOG has Egypt as one of their free units, you can download it here:

http://www.lampstandpress.com/egypt/start.htm

It also has lots of books listed for different grade levels.

Finally, check you local Wal-Mart's 88 cent toy rack. I found pyramids you can "excavate" there yesterday. Very cool and very cheap.