Menu

Help me choose a vacation destination - England

Twolittleboys

We may go to England this summer and I am having a hard time choosing a destination. We have been several times before and absolutely love the Isle of Wight. So we would go there again for a week but I would like to see a different part of the country as well. Two years ago we visited Northumberland which was stunning. We could go there again but I think a new place may be even better.

So if you are familiar with England (or if you just have a favorite destination you always wanted to see there) - where would you go?

A couple of points to consider:

Ideally it should be different from the Isle of Wight

We'll be relying on public transportation so lots of trains/buses would be great

There should be at least some bad weather activities in the area

Near the cost/sea strongly prefered

I'd like a nice "base" with amenities (stores, beach, amusements etc but doesn't have to be large) and a variety of attractions (gardens, castles, amusement parks, sights etc.) in the vicinity

Very much looking forward to your ideas!

Well I live in Devon and I think Devon and Cornwall are forgotten by a lot of international tourists. You could chose a coastal town on the trainline as a base then use trains and buses to get around. South Devon could work or somewhere down in the tip of cornwall. You could fly to Exeter or Newquay to cut down travel time. There are tons of castles, stately homes, beaches, attractions and public transport is OK from May to October.

• Like 2

Thanks so much - some great ideas.

Chris, I definitely won't rent a car (though I am sure it would be very helpful). I don't generally drive even at home and the idea of driving on the "wrong" side of the street is just too much for me. But we managed fine in Northumberland and I am sure it will be fine this time too (but is definitely something to consider when planning).

The Lake District does look beautiful but I am a bit concerned about the weather. Somehow I have the impression that it rains there a lot- am I wrong? I have heard a lot of good things about York but I think I would prefer the coast. I guess I want a different kind of landscape from home and we live in a hilly/forrested area so coast/seashore seems the best bet. I have thought of staying near Sedbergh/Whitby though which I think is fairly close to York?

I'd love to see Bath etc. but the kids are unfortunately at an age where they are less than thrilled about sight-seeing...

I actually have been thinking about Cornwall (I've been to Devon before and liked it but want to see something different) already. Not sure though how public transportation is and whether there are enough things to do. What would you recommend? We really loved Northumberland - it was quite different from IOW and there were loads of great sights/activities (am kind of tempted to go there again...)

What would be the best base in Cornwall? Any recommendations for activities/sights?

What is the area around Blackpool like?

I would not recommend Blackpool. Liverpool is an interesting city. The Albert docks area has been done up to be a great destination with cool shops and museums and restaurants. Chester zoo is an easy and short train ride. Ferry across the Mersey. Youre a short train ride to North Wales if you wanted to throw in a day at somewhere like Conwy castle.

Devon/Cornwall is also lovely. North west Wales is my home. It is reachable by public transport on the Cambrian coastline train. Tons of castles, and loads of bad weather options. Giant trampoline in a slate mine anyone? Or just do the regular mine tours. Zip lines. Pretty little towns. Beaches. Mountains.

Edited by diplomum

Thanks so much - some great ideas.

Chris, I definitely won't rent a car (though I am sure it would be very helpful). I don't generally drive even at home and the idea of driving on the "wrong" side of the street is just too much for me. But we managed fine in Northumberland and I am sure it will be fine this time too (but is definitely something to consider when planning).

The Lake District does look beautiful but I am a bit concerned about the weather. Somehow I have the impression that it rains there a lot- am I wrong? I have heard a lot of good things about York but I think I would prefer the coast. I guess I want a different kind of landscape from home and we live in a hilly/forrested area so coast/seashore seems the best bet. I have thought of staying near Sedbergh/Whitby though which I think is fairly close to York?

I'd love to see Bath etc. but the kids are unfortunately at an age where they are less than thrilled about sight-seeing...

I actually have been thinking about Cornwall (I've been to Devon before and liked it but want to see something different) already. Not sure though how public transportation is and whether there are enough things to do. What would you recommend? We really loved Northumberland - it was quite different from IOW and there were loads of great sights/activities (am kind of tempted to go there again...)

What would be the best base in Cornwall? Any recommendations for activities/sights?

What is the area around Blackpool like?

Public transport is mixed some small areas are great but crossing into the next small area can be tricky by bus. I would think that you could easily get around west Cornwall with a combo of trains and buses. In the peak season it's easier because there are extra services.

Attractions wise the Eden Project is an obvious one. But it depends what you like. St Ives area has beautiful beaches, sand dunes a couple of interesting museums. There's a variety of English heritage and national trust properties and other attractions like St Michael's Mount reasonably close. Depends what you like really. Depending on where you went in Devon it may not be different enough and not necessarily all that different from Northumberland. It's got a noticeably different climate that far west though. My friend lives in that area and mainly likes it for the sea.

://www.visitcornwall.com/places/west-cornwall

Edited by lailasmum

Thanks again - I know public transportation isn' t perfect so it is okay if not everything is possible as long as there is enough to do. We would probably be going in late August/early September so it should still be summer season.

We really like the Isle of Wight as there are lots of sights/attractions but it is also possible to just hang out, spend time at the beach, play miniature golf etc. The kids like to just relax quite a bit (me not as much). We love to do Treasure Trails (but you can do those most every place). I quite like visiting castles/stately homes or gardens. Beach is good. Just looking for a nice mix.

Younger son doesn't care for big cities (pretty much refuses to go back to London this time which I absolutely don't understand) so I would rather be based in a small town (maybe with a day trip to a larger one).

Wales sounds fun as well (doesn't have to be England as long as there is easy access). What would be a good place to stay at?

I have always wanted to visit St Michal's Mount so that is a good option. The trip to Devon was years ago - it would be fine if the area is similar just don't want to go to the exact same place. I will go ahead and look up some of the other ideas given above.