Menu

MUS success stories

Hi KeriJ, 

I guess it all depends on how you define "success." :)

I have a dd in her third year of college. She's an English major and was never going to go into science or math related fields. She used MUS up through Algebra 2 (with the exception of TT for Algebra 1, after which she returned to MUS because it was a better fit.) My dd got a decent score on her ACT and a good academic scholarship. Math will never be her strength but MUS got her where she needed to be. 

My second dd is in 11th grade and working her way through MUS. Her math is really weak, and she spent several years using TT at one point before I moved her back to MUS. I've honestly had a difficult time finding a math program that "clicked" with her, but MUS seems to come the closest. She has a lot of gaps to fill as she is studying for the ACT and is having to supplement with ACT study books to get up to speed. 

• Like 3

My oldest used MUS Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, and Stewardship. He had college-ready math test scores and had no trouble taking Statistics in college (required for his major). DD has done Alg 1, 2, Geometry, and is currently doing Pre-calc and Stewardship, also had college-ready math test scores, and plans to go into nursing next fall. I felt MUS did a good job of teaching my kids, and it also enabled me to understand the materials and coach my kids if they got stuck at some point (I always worked the problems they got wrong to see where they went wrong in their thought process compared to how the book worked out the problem. I would help them figure out either where they went wrong or why their method wouldn't work if they couldn't readily correct their work.) MUS gave me the tools I needed to teach high school math (since it's been 30 years!). Is it a program that a student who is aiming for a full-ride scholarship should use? I can't answer whether it really would be enough prep on its own. I didn't have that type of student. But is it a good solid program that will help regular college-bound students succeed? It has been for us, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I had to do high school over again. 

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 4

We haven't finished high school, yet.  I have 2 who have done Algebra 1 and Geometry and 1 finishing up Algebra 2.

My definition of success is student is able to understand, comprehend and complete lessons timely, and be able to tell me what they did, how they did it and why.

MUS's customer service has been fantastic for me. 

I have called several times over the years and they are always ready and willing to help me work through any problems I have helping my kids.

My kids have been able to understand the math and be able to teach it back.  They know how and why to do math, not just formulas but application.

I have had to add a bit of extra teaching for my kids to understand better.  Here's the thing, they read the chapter, they watch the video, they work the problems use manipulatives as needed.  Sometimes my kids need more teaching/more ownership of the math learning so I added interactive notebooking.  Kids take notes and have an activity to refer back to which gives them an even better visual reference. 

I have no complaints about MUS and my kids like it, too (as much as one who doesn't like math can like it, lol).

Edited by Rosyl
  • Like 2

I've posted my MUS success stories before, mostly to counterbalance the negative posts.  All of the "MUS is not rigorous enough for upper level math, especially for strong/STEM students" are made by people who made the decision to switch to a different program for high school math.  They did NOT successfully use the upper level MUS math program and then find their student struggling in college. 

I have two engineering degrees and DH has an architecture degree.  We did not choose MUS because we would have difficulty teaching math.  We chose it because we wanted our students to understand the meaning behind the math, not just grind through equations with no understanding.

Eldest DD used MUS at home through the precalculus level. She took the ACT her sophomore year of high school and got a 30 composite score (sorry, I don't remember the math score specifically), which was high enough for the highest state grant scholarship. We didn't ask her to take it again.

She is now in junior level college courses, studying computer science. She has taken calculus I, II, III and matrix algebra so far in her college classes, with a GPA of 4.0.  She is currently taking differential equations, which will count towards her major but wasn't required. She's considering adding a math minor.

She also participated in a national math contest one semester and obtained the highest score at her school.

So, I consider MUS to have been a booming success for her.  I did have doubts creep in, as I think we all do.  When DD finished the early levels of MUS and before we started algebra I, I did spend a few weeks running her through Lial's Basic College Math to be sure there weren't any glaring gaps; only a few minor unfamiliar topics were found.  When she finished MUS precalculus her junior year, she then took precalculus algebra and precalulus trigonometry through dual enrollment her senior year.  We weren't in a rush to complete the calculus series and wanted to be sure she was rock solid in her precalc skills.  Turned out not to be necessary as she found the courses to be pretty much a review of what she already knew and earned high A's. Still, it was a nice gentle entry into college level math courses so no regrets.

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! We have experienced terrific success with Math-U-See. When my oldest son was in 7th grade I noticed that I kept having to re-teach various concepts. As the math kept getting more difficult, I just felt like he needed more dedicated practice before new concepts were introduced. Since MUS is a mastery-based program, I decided to give it a try. Although, I must admit, I was a little worried because I, too, had read some not-so-good reviews about it.

One huge positive about MUS is that it is extremely user friendly! The weekly video lessons are enjoyable and quite helpful. The problem sets are excellent. Students have plenty of time to practice new skills until they are good and comfortable with the new concepts. Plenty of review problems are also included. Another thing that I appreciate: every single problem is worked out, step-by-step in the teacher's guide. The tests are multiple choice, just like standardized tests! And-- they're easy to grade. ;)

We have been able to stay on schedule with our math lessons and I am confident that my my boys are really learning the material. My oldest son has now completed MUS pre-algebra, algebra 1, and geometry. He's currently working through the algebra 2 text. Last year my son's standardized test scores were the highest they'd ever been!

My youngest son will likely decide to go into a computer science/computer engineering related career. He doesn't love math, but he's pretty good at it. We've decided to stick with MUS as well. So far, we are quite pleased. He's developing a good depth of understanding and earns terrific scores on standardized tests. He has completed pre-algebra, algebra 1 and is almost finished with geometry.

MUS has made high school math do-able in our household. It has provided good coverage of concepts and we're pleased with progress our boys have made.

• Like 3

As with any math program, it really depends on whether or not the program "clicks" for the student. Here are some past threads with success stories, but also with a few not success stories, because that's the reality of ANY math program. ;)

MUS through high school

Is MUS really not good enough?

MUS question (results if you used it through high school)

Anyone use MUS all the way thru?

MUS in high school

MUS for a STEM student?

Happily ever after stories sought (struggling math student, using Singapore and MUS)

MUS beyond the elementary years?

MUS Algebra and higher maths: adequate or no?

Edited by Lori D.

As with any math program, it really depends on whether or not the program "clicks" for the student. Here are some past threads with success stories, but also with a few not success stories, because that's the reality of ANY math program. ;)

MUS through high school

Is MUS really not good enough?

MUS question (results if you used it through high school)

Anyone use MUS all the way thru?

MUS in high school

MUS for a STEM student?

Happily ever after stories sought (struggling math student, using Singapore and MUS)

MUS beyond the elementary years?

MUS Algebra and higher maths: adequate or no?

Thank you Lori.  I agree that it depends on the student.  I have read all those threads, but wanted to be reassured that it really did work for some. :)

• Like 2

Thank you Lori.  I agree that it depends on the student.  I have read all those threads, but wanted to be reassured that it really did work for some. :)

Then, to just add reassurance ;) , as I mentioned in some of those past threads I linked, we did MUS all the way up through Alg. 2 with our math student who struggled hugely with math, esp. the abstract topics of Algebra 1 and 2, and it helped him grasp the math well enough that he scored straight into College Algebra for the community college assessment for when he entered the CC for dual enrollment for his senior year. Success! :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...