Menu

MUS through High School

Has anyone here used Math U See's higher level math curriculum through high school? How did your kids do on SATs? 

We are not a "math" family, but I want my kids to have a solid foundation. I plan to send him to community college for dual-enrollment classes starting in his Junior Year. 

He is completing Algebra 1 and going into Geometry. I always have this nagging feeling about it, but he always does well and it has seemed to get the job done. We tried Saxon, and, while he was able to do it, we both wanted to stab our eyes out with the tedium.

• Like 1

MUS to Saxon is a jump from one end of spectrum to the other. You might consider some middle ground. 

We used MUS through Geometry switching in Algebra 2 (although he came back later and did their pre-calc which I gave him .5 credit of trig credit for). For the next, I switched in Algebra. I switched my kids for different reasons and if you do a search for MUS threads, I have posted them several times.

We switched to Lial's for Algebra 1 & 2. We used MUS Geometry with both kids. Oldest then did AP Stats and a semester of trig w/MUS. Youngest is taking math at the CC. You can find links and descriptions of Lial's in the pinned math thread. It is an easy switch from MUS because it is still mastery based and teaches concepts in a similar order to MUS so you can switch (after pre-algebra) without being lost in the sequence.

• Like 1

For your particular DS and situation, I'd at least do some research on the many high school math options. Saxon is about the most direct opposite of MUS out there, so while I wouldn't probably recommend switching from MUS (which is working for you & DS) to Saxon (which totally did not connect for you & DS), I certainly would consider looking into some of the many other options, such as textbook-based programs Lial's or Jacobs. And DVD-lesson programs such as Teaching Textbooks or Chalkdust. And the interactive texts from Kinetic Books. And there are self-paced options such as ALEKS, Thinkwell, Tablet Class. Even consider an online Math class, like Geometry through My Homeschool Math Class (taught by WTMer Jann in TX!).

Below is part of my reply to this same question from the recent thread: "Math-U-See beyond the elementary years?".

However, my short answer is yes we used MUS through high school with a math struggler with mild LDs in the abstract math areas. How did MUS work for us? DS scored right at average on the SAT and on the ACT, which was actually *better* that I was expecting, what with his LDs. So we were pleased. Just before 12th grade, he took the COMPASS placement test at the CC in order to be admitted for dual enrollment classes, and scored high enough on the math section that he would have been placed in a College Algebra course (after having just completed MUS Algebra 2). And that super-surprised both of us, as many high school students (public school, private school or homeschool) score on that placement test as needing a level of math that is the pre-requisite to the College Algebra. However, both DS and I agreed that if he were taking math at the CC, it would have been better for him to take that pre-requisite first to feel really solid in his foundations for being able to keep up with the fast pace and more rigorous topics of the College Algebra course.

So MUS through high school did what it needed to for our DS with math struggles and LDs, but YMMV, as every student is very different. :) BEST of luck as you sort through your high school math options and in finding what works best for your student! Warmest regards, Lori D.

from post #5 of "Math-U-See beyond the elementary years?"

"...MUS is lighter than the typical high school math program. But it is also one of the most visual methods of explaining the very abstract (non-visual, non-concrete) topics of Algebra, so it can be the very thing that works when other programs don't for explaining the higher maths to a very visual-spatial learner or a special needs student. It can also click extremely well for average or advanced students as a first exposure to higher math concepts.

From the actual high school MUS experiences in those threads, you'll find the full range of thoughts and experiences about MUS above the elementary grades… We went on to use MUS in high school; for Algebra 1 we also used Jacobs Algebra. Other families switch away from MUS entirely after the Zeta or the Pre-Algebra level as it no longer challenges their students. One mom (can't remember now who), has shared that her STEM-based students so grasped math by doing MUS through high school that they end up tutoring fellow college students through college levels of math. 8FillTheHeart has her advanced students use the MUS high school levels as a first exposure and then her students do the high school maths with rigorous programs (so, MUS as a useful supplement or first exposure). In contrast, mom31257, who is a math teacher and tutors high school math students, has seen MUS fail to prepare students for college math, so she uses Saxon with students she tutors...

Whatever math program families settle on, I always highly encourage the use of a second program from a different perspective as a supplement to the spine math, which encourages making math connections, math "thinking", and develops problem-solving skills, from seeing there is more than one way to view the math concepts. Use supplements to the spine math for as long as you can -- into the high school years, if possible, but up to Pre-Algebra…"

"Is MUS really not good enough?"

MUS question (results if you used it through high school)

Anyone use MUS all the way thru?

MUS in high school

MUS for a STEM student?

Happily ever after stories sought (struggling math student, using Singapore and MUS)

• Like 3

Has anyone here used Math U See's higher level math curriculum through high school? How did your kids do on SATs? 

DD used MUS through pre-calculus and then did a year of dual enrollment math at the CC her senior year. We took the conservative approach and had her take pre-calculus algebra and pre-calculus trigonometry rather than jumping directly into calculus.  She sailed through with a high A both semesters.

She took the ACT (not SAT) early in the 10th grade, so she had just started MUS algebra II, and scored a 27 in the math section.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links and pointers to the other threads. I have read through them. I think I will continue as we are and supplement the MUS with other programs. I have Jacob's on my shelf and there is Kahn academy, which we do well with when we need support in math, as well.

• Like 1