Menu

Math U See, algebra

I had planned to do AOPS algebra next year but our coop is offerING math u see algebra. I met with the teacher and they do not plan to use the manipulatives. We are not familiar too much with this lrogram. We are completing Dolciani Prealgebra currently. Thoughts on the program and if one can still use it effectively (how good is the textbook alone) without the blocks. I really wonder why she chose this curriculum if she doesn't plan to use it fully......

The blocks are barely used in MUS Algebra. You don't need them. However, if your ds has done Dolciani PreAlgebra, MUS Algebra is pointless. He is ready for a more challenging program. MUS moves slowly and will not cover all the standard material that is covered in Algebra. It will also give NO challenging problems, just the simplest form of each concept.

It is a great choice for once a week teaching, because it is designed to work that way. It is also a great choice for math challenged kids. 

Don't do it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to assume so much about MUS because I've never even looked at it. I have a mathy daughter. The only appeal I had was that it would be taught with other kids and she wants to take a "class" to meet more friends. I'm thinking I'll sign her up for the co-op art and leave the math to AOPS as originally intended!

• Like 3

I've used MUS. I loved it in the younger grades. I have owned Algebra-PreCalculus and used at least some of all of them. I have a child with multiple LDs and MUS helped him make it through math. I am not a MUS hater or anything, but it sounds like the wrong choice for your ds.

I hope he loves AoPS :).

• Like 1

We used MUS through Algebra 2 for our 3 math-y sons, then easily transitioned to Chalkdust Pre-Calc, so they would be used to a regular textbook before transitioning to community college for dual-enrollment. They all tested into Calc 1, did lots of math those 2 yes. and then went to hard-to-get-into state university. 2 studied engineering (one graduated), and the other is studying architecture but still needed college Calculus. We live MUS and had no "issues".

My DD is math challenged.  She has used every MUS book from Beta on (wish we had gone back to Alpha when we pulled her out).  She gets MUS.  She is enrolled in the American School and they have their own math program.  She started on MUS Algebra over the summer and picked up the school's Algebra 1 program about mid September.  She has repeatedly thanked me for doing this because the book the school uses makes little sense to her, but she has seen most of the general concepts in MUS already.  We will continue to do the double math throughout HS. 

That said, if she is a strong student and has done well with pre-algebra, then MUS might not be her thing.  If she is willing to do multiple math programs though, she could enroll in the MUS class for a fun class that will also reinforce the Algebra skills.

• Like 2