Menu

MUS Algebra and higher maths: Adequate or no?

I am looking into Algebra programs for my rising 9th grader. He will have complete Abeka's Pre-Algebra program which I believe is very thorough and actually covers a lot of early Algebra topics. He does not struggle with math but I wouldn't consider him "strong" in math either. Average? My 10th grader is just now finishing Lials Introductory Algebra, which I like. He is not a strong math student and it took us 2 years to get through it. *I* am strong in math and can teach it…but I am spread so thin already with 6 to teach. :/ I need something that my 9th grader can do independently but will also give him a thorough foundation in Algebra. Any reviews of MUS Algebra? Thanks.

Is it really independent? If you need independence I'd be more inclined to look at something self-grading like TT.

Some people have done adequately after taking MUS but as far as programs go it's definitely one of the weaker ones.

I know some like 8Fill have used MUS Algebra as Pre-A for more rigorous programs.  We used it with ds12 through Pre-A and found it lacking in challenge.  But this varies per child's abilities and academic goals.  

I would also recommend loooking into TabletClass.  ds12 did TC Pre-A ~95% independent.  Today is the last day of their big sale - 1 class for $50. http://tabletclass.com/homeschool/tabletclass-math-discount.aspx

* ETA: Actually I noticed his website says the sale ends tomorrow 6/1/2014.

Teaching Textbooks is more traditional in approach and would be closer in teaching methods to Lial or Abeka, rather than MUS which is quite different. It has a video lesson a day, and every single problem is worked out for the student to see, if needed. MUS has one video lesson per week of material, and has a very different, unique method of explanation; if DS has not used MUS before, there will be a big learning curve trying to learn in a very different way, which might not make MUS as independently working as you need.

Other fairly independent math programs with visual components include ALEKSThinkwell, and Kinetic Textbooks.

HOWEVER, since DS is not a strong math person, I personally would hesitate to leave a student with ANY of these self-directed programs, hoping he will mostly be able to manage on his own. All too often, esp. when reaching the high school math levels, students just cruise along in a self-directed program, not getting it -- and not telling you they're not getting it -- and keep going ahead without understanding, just to check off the math box for the day. And then 3 months down the line you realize nothing has been learned -- and you have to start over, but now you are half a year behind and STILL have other children to juggle... 9th grade is young for the real maturity and responsibility it takes to say you're not getting it, when you're a young teen boy who'd rather be out doing something other than school… ;)

Other options you might look into:

- math as a single course at the local high school (public, private, charter)

Some schools allow this.

- outsource to a local tutor to oversee math with DS

- or conversely, hire a "mother's helper"

Hire a teen, or a retired "grandma", to come in 2-3 afternoons a week to work with your youngers so you can focus on doing math with DS -- then you could use the Lial's you like and know how to teach.

- online course for Math

Jann in TX from this board has been given HIGH reviews by others on this board for her online My Homeschool Math Class -- she uses Lial for Pre-Algebra, Algebra I and Algebra II, and Holt Geometry. THIS would be my first and strongest suggestion for you! :)

BEST of luck in finding the best fit for your family, and a math solution that WORKS for you all! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori makes some great points.  You could more realistically strive for ~ 90% independence which allows room for asking questions if/when he gets stuck.  This need for 'some' help varies a lot per child as Algebra can introduce some difficult concepts to grasp initially.  Even with Jann in TX you are still responsible for grading the homework or have your ds do it if you're ok with that.  But she also offers additional tutoring at no extra charge if a child needs help during her course.  For TabletClass I trusted ds12 to grade his own work as we do with AoPS as well.  I then provided ~ 10% assistance when he hit a more difficult concept like graphing linear equations.

This level of independence also holds true for programs like MUS.  Because ds12 was so used to MUS after using it from Alpha (the very beginning) he was 90%+ independent.  But as others have said if it is entirely new then it may require more getting him up to speed.  I just can't recommend it as a spine all the way through High School.  Though others who like it more as a secondary math program will.  

Sue,

If he completed Abeka pre-algebra, he may find MUS Algebra 1 very easy ( I have tutored with MUS Algebra 1).  I have used MUS with two of my dc.  My dd used geometry through precalculus and my ds used parts of the Algebra 2.  Does your ds have any career goals in mind?  I ask because I am not sure it will adequately prepare a child who is considering a stem field (IMHO).  

My dd is currently an English major at the local state university.  She used MUS geometry, Alegbra 2 and precalculus.  It was a good fit for her as she is good at math but does not like it at all. I feel MUS served her well.  Prior to using MUS she had completed Lial's Introductory Algebra and before that we used Abeka.  She had no trouble transitioning to MUS from Lial's and Abeka and she did 90% of her work independently.  I would however check her daily work to make sure she was understanding the concept.  

My ds started the year with MUS algebra 2.  He used TT for geometry and Lials Introductory algebra for algebra 1.  He is a STEM kid and wants to be an actuary.  He quickly became bored and so we switched to Foerster Algebra and Trig using the Math Without Borders DVDs.  He is thriving in this text.  It is challenging and takes things to a level MUS does not.  I check his daily work but he watches the daily DVD lesson and then completes the problem set.  We choose to work the problems that have the DVD solutions and it is plenty.  

So I guess what I am saying is to assess where your child is and what their future goals may be.  Can a child use MUS and go on to be a STEM major? Sure and many have.  I do feel MUS gives a solid basic high school math education.  It may just fit the bill for what you need.

Chris

Lori, Derek and Chris…you all make very good points. I can totally see this child "faking" his way through even if he doesn't "get it". My oldest used Jann in TX's Alg. 2 class and it was awesome. Jann is awesome. :) I simply can't afford it this year for ds14. As I said, I am capable of teaching Alg. 1…I am a math person…it is one of my strongest subjects. Ds would not be totally independent. We would still meet each day. I was just hoping for something video-based so I wouldn't have to do the actual teaching, kwim? I can see MUS being "easy" once a student has done Abeka Pre-Alg.  I am thinking I will just stick with Lial's and try and schedule my time better so I can teach him. I will also look into TabletClass…thanks!  Derek or iammommy could you give a review of Tablet Class? Why did you like it? How is is structured? Is it thorough enough for a kid who just might go on to a STEM field? Similar to a more traditional Algebra course or no?  That might be what I am looking for. Thanks!

Here are two free options for algebra 1 videos:

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/

They offer Saxon Alg. 1 3rd edition at your own pace with online homework grading and tests.

http://www.algebrawithinreach.com/ea6e/content/instructional-videos/chapter-1-2/section-1/introduction-to-real-numbers/

This one has Dana Mosely videos to accompany Larson's Elementary Algebra. I bought the 5th edition for $5 shipped and the topics lined up perfectly.

I totally forgot about VHSG!!!  Hmm….now do I really want to re-visit Saxon Algebra 1?  lol  My daughter used it and got halfway through before we realized she just wasn't getting it and had to switch to Lials. Hmmm….decisions, decisions…Thanks chiguirre!

... I was just hoping for something video-based so I wouldn't have to do the actual teaching, kwim?

In addition to video lesson based programs I listed above (Teaching TextbooksALEKSThinkwell, and Kinetic Textbooks), Video Text, Chalkdust are also video lesson programs. And both Abeka and BJUP have DVD-based Algebra math programs.

You might also see if FREE video tutorials from Khan Academy, Math TV or others might help do some of the "heavy lifting" of instruction for you while using Lial's… Or, FREE written tutorials at Math Planet, might explain troublesome concepts differently and "click" with DS...

Lori, Derek and Chris…you all make very good points. I can totally see this child "faking" his way through even if he doesn't "get it". My oldest used Jann in TX's Alg. 2 class and it was awesome. Jann is awesome. :) I simply can't afford it this year for ds14. As I said, I am capable of teaching Alg. 1…I am a math person…it is one of my strongest subjects. Ds would not be totally independent. We would still meet each day. I was just hoping for something video-based so I wouldn't have to do the actual teaching, kwim? I can see MUS being "easy" once a student has done Abeka Pre-Alg.  I am thinking I will just stick with Lial's and try and schedule my time better so I can teach him. I will also look into TabletClass…thanks!  Derek or iammommy could you give a review of Tablet Class? Why did you like it? How is is structured? Is it thorough enough for a kid who just might go on to a STEM field? Similar to a more traditional Algebra course or no?  That might be what I am looking for. Thanks!

ds12 Went through TabletClass Pre-A which was challenging and thorough enough to prepare him for AoPS this year.  So I really liked the program overall.  I like TC so much in fact that after finishing AoPS Intro to Algebra I am following up with TC Algebra for extra review over this Summer.  I just purchased the Algebra 1 course during the sale.  For $50 its one of the best deals going for a solid math program.  ds12 is on a STEM track and I think it was a good choice. I also like to pull from a variety of resources to present concepts and problems from different perspectives.  

TC's S&S is structured like most well regarded Algebra 1 programs.  I actually created a matrix comparing it with other popular STEM algebra courses you can see here: Algebra 1 Matrix.  Compared to MUS TC was a major step forward in every regard for ds12.  Switching from MUS to TC was single best decision I have made for him.

Another really good option on a budget is to use Derek Owens' free Algebra 1 videos along with Dolciani's text which is an excellent book.  He follows Dolciani closely in his online class.  DO is a fantastic communicator and instructor.  So that is a winning combo as well.