Menu

Game System, and Wii seems to be broken

Janeway

SO..here goes...

Wii seems to be broken. We have tons of games. Husband says he is fed up with how the Wii remotes work. We have a few PS2 games and a PS2 also. Then we also have a few older older systems that no one seems to play.

BIG QUESTION....

I have grown to like game systems because even though they are computer games, they do not connect to the internet and the kids play together and interact with each other. We have both a game room and a media room and the game systems we have are set up in the game room, toward the corner, so it does not take over the whole room. The room is actually rather big anyway.

Point is...are game systems worth it anymore? Anyone play them? If so, what do they recommend for a game system? I do not, and will not be willing to purchase anything that requires an online account or to be hooked to the internet to play. I do not mind it being capable of being hooked to the internet, I just do not want it to be required to be hooked nor so I want to pay a monthly fee just to have it work. 

If you don't want accounts avoid the latest PlayStation and Xbox. I can't remember about the Wii U... I think you have to make an account at the very beginning but I can't remember because once you do it you have use it again well I do since lots of little kids and they destroyed to many disc and we opted to digitally download games instead of buying discs now a days.

Honestly if you like you wii I'd get another. They are good systems. You could upgrade to a Wii U, it has backward canabulity and you be able to play all your wii games.

My dad has his Wii U not hooked up to the internet ( my step brothers are just two years older than my eldest) I would say some of nintendos games have some internet required multiplayer aspects however the games are perfectly playable as a single isolated console.

Our favorite game for the Wii U is pikmin three the main game is single player but hubby and I play either with each other in the unloackable missions or against each other in the bingo battle.

We have a Wii U that was not hooked to the internet until we got rid of our cable tv.  We hooked it in then so the kids could watch youtube, Hulu and Netflix on it as well as play their games.  

My kids like the Zelda games, Pokemon games (are they for Wii or just 3DS? I'm not sure), Mario, Skylanders. 

If you don't want accounts avoid the latest PlayStation and Xbox. I can't remember about the Wii U... I think you have to make an account at the very beginning but I can't remember because once you do it you have use it again well I do since lots of little kids and they destroyed to many disc and we opted to digitally download games instead of buying discs now a days.

Honestly if you like you wii I'd get another. They are good systems. You could upgrade to a Wii U, it has backward canabulity and you be able to play all your wii games.

My dad has his Wii U not hooked up to the internet ( my step brothers are just two years older than my eldest) I would say some of nintendos games have some internet required multiplayer aspects however the games are perfectly playable as a single isolated console.

Our favorite game for the Wii U is pikmin three the main game is single player but hubby and I play either with each other in the unloackable missions or against each other in the bingo battle.

This is super important. If you buy one of the new sets and don't have internet you will own a very expensive brick. Stick with the Wii or an older PS. 

We just got a Switch with part of dh's bonus!  I was VERY skeptical, but my kids are playing it a lot and we only have 2 games.  That would be the biggest caveat right now, IMO.  Not a ton of games, but they are coming.  The controllers--"Joy-Cons"--are a little interesting to get used to.  We really like the option to play a game on the portable console while others still use the tv!  Battery life seems to be just OK.  Cartridges are very small (they are treated with a bitter-tasting concoction of some kind and my 22yo dd tested one with the tip of her tongue.  Yuck!  LOL!) so be sure you have a system for keeping track of them.  (The boxes are obviously fine for this.)  One small bug they are working out is that when you use the Joy-Cons for playing Zelda, you must have an unobstructed path from them to the console or it's sort of glitchy.  But they are aware and it will be fixed soon, I believe.  Not a huge deal.  Oh, forgot, I read an article that said you can use a charger like one for a smartphone with a USB if you take the small console/pad away from the house for whatever reason.  It doesn't come with that charger, though. Those are just my first few days' impression.  

You do not HAVE to have accounts or an online service, but that might be somewhat limiting depending on what you want to play.  (Everyone here has their own accounts, however our kids are older so that's more important for us than someone with littler kiddos.)