Menu

MUS...as a supplement?

Jess4879

So my youngest is using BJU math and I don't really want to switch.  I like the program and I already have grades K-4...but I feel like he could really benefit from a different way of seeing things.  Has anyone used MUS as a supplement?  Could I just use the video's with the blocks? 

ETA: I've also considered the Kitchen Table Math books, but wasn't sure how easy they are to use? I kind of need something that tells me do this first, this next and so on. 

Edited by Jess4879

I think MUS could work well as a supplement.  I know that I pulled out my MUS materials (that were left over from my older son) with my younger son when I needed a different way to explain things.

Do you think it's possible to just use the DVD's? 

Do you think it's possible to just use the DVD's? 

The "magic" of MUS comes in actually working with the blocks/fraction overlays.  So, IMO, you'd need those at a minimum.  And if you don't want to be making up exercises on the fly, then you'd need the student pack.  

The "magic" of MUS comes in actually working with the blocks/fraction overlays.  So, IMO, you'd need those at a minimum.  And if you don't want to be making up exercises on the fly, then you'd need the student pack.  

Good to know!  Thanks! :)

If you already have MUS, why not? If you don't, it seems like a very expensive supplement. I second the Education Unboxed Videos -the few I've seen explain things almost the same way as the MUS videos. Also, I have a hard time seeing the difference between MUS blocks and Cuisinares. I've never actually seen or used Cuisinares, so someone might correct me, but they look awfully similar, and Cuisinares can be purchased for a lot less than the MUS blocks.

• Like 1

If you already have MUS, why not? If you don't, it seems like a very expensive supplement. I second the Education Unboxed Videos -the few I've seen explain things almost the same way as the MUS videos. Also, I have a hard time seeing the difference between MUS blocks and Cuisinares. I've never actually seen or used Cuisinares, so someone might correct me, but they look awfully similar, and Cuisinares can be purchased for a lot less than the MUS blocks.

They're very different IMO. Cuisenaire rods are for the numbers 1-10, useful for small-number addition, composing/decomposing and skip counting; unit blocks (which we didn't get from MUS, but Amazon) are 1, 10, 100, 1000, good for teaching place value. We used both.

We used MUS a bit as a supplement and I was happy with that. I got the DVDs used, though, and probably wouldn't have been as happy if I'd paid full price. The Decimal Street part, which was best, is on YouTube IIRC.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

Yeah I'd say too expensive as a supplement.  The videos at that level are very very short.  Not sure it would be worthwhile for the intended use.

You might like Kitchen Table Math for game ideas.

Have you used KTM?  The author sent me a great sample, but I am confused about how exactly it would be implemented.  Do I basically start at the beginning and work my way through?  It looks like it's kind of a case of me reading a chapter and then using the ideas to teach my child, is that correct?

They're very different IMO. Cuisenaire rods are for the numbers 1-10, useful for small-number addition, composing/decomposing and skip counting; unit blocks (which we didn't get from MUS, but Amazon) are 1, 10, 100, 1000, good for teaching place value. We used both.

We used MUS a bit as a supplement and I was happy with that. I got the DVDs used, though, and probably wouldn't have been as happy if I'd paid full price. The Decimal Street part, which was best, is on YouTube IIRC.

My MUS set has blocks for numbers 1-10, and 100.

So my youngest is using BJU math and I don't really want to switch.  I like the program and I already have grades K-4...but I feel like he could really benefit from a different way of seeing things.  Has anyone used MUS as a supplement?  Could I just use the video's with the blocks? 

ETA: I've also considered the Kitchen Table Math books, but wasn't sure how easy they are to use? I kind of need something that tells me do this first, this next and so on. 

I understand what you mean by having something tell you what you need to do. I like that, too. :-) We have been using Ellen McHenry's Prof. Pigs course as a supplement, which is free and has math games that have an entirely different flavor to them than Kate Snow's. (We like her games too, but it's just a nice change of pace.) We also use MEP, which is also free, and has a very different approach to math. It's from Britain, so sometimes the wording is a bit foreign, but the lesson plans give good directions for activities to do above and beyond the worksheets. You can see the scope and sequence, which they call "Scheme of Work" here

• Like 1