Menu

Unusual science sequence

If the college your child is interested in attending only states that 3 years of science are required (no reference to WHAT sciences should be taken), do you foresee any problems with the following for a NON-STEM major:

Biology                     9th

AP Biology              10th

APES                       11th

Astronomy  DE        12th   

Should he double-up on science in 11th and take Chemistry?

Is it OK to take Astronomy in 12th instead of Physics or Chemistry? 

I don't see any problem with this if the school does not require physics or chemistry and if the student's major does not require physics or chemistry.

If there is even a slight chance the student might be required to take chemistry at college, I would cover chem in high school, because Intro chem is a course perceived as difficult by many students.

• Like 3

Isn't there chemistry used in AP bio? 

oops - good point, that one escaped me.

Absolutely - there is chemistry in any modern biology course. Now, one can probably learn that chem without having to take a chemistry class, but having chem before makes it so much easier.

• Like 2

There is chemistry in biology, but it doesn't cover everything that you get in a chemistry class. Although a biology class talks about organic molecules, chemical bonds, and an introduction to basic chemistry ideas, it typically won't spend a lot of time on things like balancing chemical equations, electron shells or acid-base titrations that you might get in a chemistry class. But, if you don't need chemistry later, it might not be an issue for you.

If the college your child is interested in attending only states that 3 years of science are required (no reference to WHAT sciences should be taken), do you foresee any problems with the following for a NON-STEM major:

Biology                     9th

AP Biology              10th

APES                       11th

Astronomy  DE        12th   

Should he double-up on science in 11th and take Chemistry?

Is it OK to take Astronomy in 12th instead of Physics or Chemistry? 

Could you please provide some background information on your student? That would make it easier for us to give you the best advice. How old is your student now? What is the student's science background? Is the one college the student's only choice? What are the student's science preferences? Is the student already part way through the above sequence or is it not started yet?

I would actually consider the requirements of a variety of schools that you would consider (I looked at 4-5 schools that would be strong contenders for us) to decide how to proceed. A lot changes happen in a student's life and thought processes between the beginning and ending of the high school years, and if there is any chance at all that the student would want to consider other schools, you don't want to shut doors unnecessarily. Not saying your sequence would--it's just nice to know any possible requirements on the front end rather than after the fact. (I did choose a non-traditional science sequence for my non-stem student, based on personal interests, and there are a number of schools by us that only specify "biology or chemistry" rather than both for the three science requirements.)

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 3

Thank you everyone. 

Here is a little more background.

DS is in 10th and is taking AP Biology this year. He is not a science-loving student but he likes a challenge and is generally curious about most things- especially if well-presented. 

He is enrolled in APES for next year.

Based on the above I am changing 12th grade to Chemistry just to be on the safe side. Does anyone think he needs to double-up on science this year and do Chemistry this year and Physics next year?

He is planning to double-major in Philosophy and Literature and he is looking into a specific program where admissions will likely not be an issue. However, he does want to be in a strong position for college-wide scholarships. 

He is also working towards gaining AP credit for as many core courses as possible to make double-majoring more feasible. That is why he chose APES this year. 

Your additional thoughts are appreciated. 

Edited by Connections

Astronomy *ought* to tick the physical science box but by the time he's a senior, he'll be more sure on what colleges he wants to attend. If he changes his mind and wants to go somewhere that requires physics or chemistry (it's very uncommon to require chemistry AND physics -- some schools don't even offer it) he should be able to change his DE intentions at that point. I don't see a reason to change his 11th grade plans. 

He could also DE for chemistry (there is often a chemistry for non-majors class that should transfer AND tick the physical science box) if he wants to go somewhere that requires a physical science. 

• Like 1

My daughter did only Physics, Hon Bio and APES and took AP Psych instead of science for her 12th grade year. Overall she had 10 AP's, but only the three sciences. So far she's been accepted to two Honors Colleges at a State School and a private U, and is looking to get another Honors Invite. We felt that rigor is more important than box checking but she definitely worried for awhile! She will be a humanities major for sure.

• Like 1